Sea, river, or lake fishing can be a great way to spend a day outdoors. There are several freshwater fish types to catch, but one of the most popular types people want to catch is Trout.
Our top pick for the best fishing pole for Trout is the TROUTBOY Black Warrior Fishing Rod and Reel Combos. This fishing pole offers better value in terms of customizability as you can adjust the action, power, and length for trout fishing. The pole is also durable for extra power without the risk of the pole snapping.
If you want a head start on the water, consider using the best fishing pole for Trout. To make your job easier, this guide is designed to help you find a fishing pole for Trout that you can trust in the long run.
Table of Contents
- Best Fishing Poles For Trout – Comparison Table
- What is Trout Fishing?
- How do you Rig a Fishing Pole for Trout?
- Can you Catch Trout with a Regular Rod and Reel?
- What to Look for?
- Best Fishing Pole for Trout
- Key References
Best Fishing Poles For Trout – Comparison Table
What is Trout Fishing?
Trout fishing is one of the most popular types of fishing in North America. Trout are abundant and are quite tasty when anglers choose to keep them. One of the best places you can find Trout of any species, size, or color is the West Coast.
How do you Rig a Fishing Pole for Trout?
Here’s how to set up your trout fishing pole for a fun and exciting fishing experience:
Step One: Pass the fishing line through the eye of the hook. Ensure you wrap the end you’ve passed through around the fishing line. Roll it up about 9 times to prevent it from coming loose.
Step Two: After wrapping the fishing line 9 times, take the end and pass it through the eye of the hook. Be sure to loop on the other side and not the side you looped in earlier. Otherwise, the fishing line will come loose, and you’ll lose the hook.
Step Three: Pull the main fishing line, so the twists you have made are tight and taut.
Step Four: Use scissors to cut off any additional part of the line you’ve wrapped around the fishing line. Don’t let the end hang.
Step Five: Attach the bobber or float to the end of the fishing line. You can do this by passing the line through the upper and lower hooks. Make sure the fishing line goes through both hooks, as it will either anchor the bobber or float to the line and keep it in a stationary position depending on its use.
Can you Catch Trout with a Regular Rod and Reel?
There are several types of trout fishing rods. In general, ultra-light to light action rods are the best option for trout fishing. Trout does not put up a lot of fight, so there’s no need to look for heavy fishing rods. It also saves anglers some weight on the line weight and rod.
What to Look for?
A) Pole Composition
The composition of fishing poles has moved a long way from their bamboo roots. It is now usually made of only two materials: graphite and fiberglass.
- Graphite is the more sensitive and lighter of the two.
- The properties of a graphite pole far exceed those of a fiberglass pole. They are stronger, lighter, and more responsive, which is essential for trout fishing.
- However, it is more expensive. With that said, the extra money you spend is well worth it.
B) Lines Guides
Quality lines are virtually as essential as the blank itself. Line guides affect the ability to cast the pole and the feel of the pole when hit by a hungry fish. Micro pole guides are growing in popularity. It’s hard not to like the quality line guides made by the manufacturer “Fuji“.
C) Grip Handles
It is also vital to consider grip handles when shopping for the best fishing pole for Trout. Whether you prefer EVA or cork foam, you’ll have to pick it up and do a few wrong flicks to make sure it’s comfortable enough for those days where you throw a thousand casts.
The term “Action” describes where the pole flexes and bends when a force is applied.
- The action balances the casting pole’s power and plays a crucial role in fighting the fish.
- The poles’ action affects the way the pole casts, the sensitivity of the tips, and the way energy is transferred to the bait when it is hit.
- The pole action is usually classified as light, medium, and heavy. A lighter strike action casts lighter bait and is more forgiving when the Trout you’re catching wants to fly, as a lighter action pole can absorb fish waves and has more movement to pick up loose lines when they are jumping out of the water. Light is our recommended pole action.
E) Pole Length
Pole lengths suitable for trout fishing are usually between 6 and 8 feet.
- The pole’s length depends on where you go fishing, whether it is the overgrown lower streams or the large open alpine streams.
- If you are fishing in an alpine stream with little or no scrub to deal with, you should choose a long pole you can cast farther, but that is a little less precise.
- The longer the pole, the easier it’s to control or play a hooked fish.
- In the lower streams, which are bushy and covered with mulberry trees, a shorter, more robust, and more precise pole is invaluable.
- Any fishing pole between 6 and 6 feet 10 inches will work fine.
F) Weight Class
We recommend you go light as Trout are a fun sport fish with light gear when it comes to pole weight selection.
- When they jump out of the water and use the current of the stream against you, it is exciting. There’s nothing more satisfying than catching the fish instead of hooking your skull to the net.
- Anything in the 1 to 5 kg range is a great place to look for Trout in streams. We would recommend a 1 to 3 kg pole that is more than enough to cast most trout baits (except deep divers) for the best weight.
- When casting deep divers, the weight of the pole must be increased to 2 to 4 kg.
- Another helpful tip is to adjust your rod’s casting weight to the bait weight you would mainly cast, e. g., 4 to 10 g.
Best Fishing Pole for Trout
Here are the top 6 best fishing poles for Trout on the market today:
1. TROUTBOY Black Warrior Fishing Rod and Reel Combos
The TROUTBOY Black Warrior is a true warrior in its own right, as the name suggests.
- The durability is unmatched, and the performance is awe-inspiring, considering the lightness and flexibility of this unit.
- The length of the pole is adjustable to suit trout fishing.
- This best trout rod and reel combo comes with an EVA forearm grip you will love for extended fishing trips.
- The pole itself is crafted from E-glass and carbon fiber combo, making it very durable.
- This best fishing rod and reel for trout and bass is easy to tell that corners were not cut when making this pole, so you can use it for a long time.
- TROUTBOY Black Warrior Fishing Rod and Reel Combos come in different lengths, so you can tailor it to your needs.
- You will also receive a specially designed carrying case for the pole.
- However, you can also put it in any backpack or regular bag if you prefer.
2. PLUSINNO Fishing Rod and Reel Combos
Whether you are a professional angler or just getting started in the sport, it’s always good to get a good deal on your gear, right? The PLUSINNO Fishing Rod and Reel Combos contain almost everything you need to set it up and get started right away.
- The kit comes with the pole itself, a reel, bait, hooks, and a carrying bag specially designed for the telescopic pole.
- The PLUSINNO fishing pole’s line weight is 11 to 13lbs, and the pole itself is relatively easy to fold and extend.
- You can adjust the length easily to suit trout fishing.
- The reel is in place already, so you no longer need to perform a setup task.
- Beyond that, the reel has 12 bearings for smooth castings and is high quality, so you don’t have to change it for a better model.
- For all the accessories that come with the kit, the PLUSINNO Fishing Rod and Reel Combos offer anglers value for money.
3. Dr. Fish Fishing Rod and Reel Combos
Suppose you are looking for a reliable saltwater pole with smooth sensitivity and casting. In that case, the Dr.Fish Fishing Rod and Reel Combos is your best option.
- This best size rod for trout fishing is made from full graphite to keep it very sensitive without compromising the strength.
- The pole’s length and its massive power make it an excellent option for maximum distance casting.
- The reel has 13 stainless steel bearings that guarantee a smoother casting.
- The stainless steel reel seat and aluminum oxide guides protect it from saltwater corrosion.
- The gear teeth feature a specialized shape and surface to ensure long-lasting and effective performance.
- Considering all the accessories it comes with, the Dr.
- Fish Fishing Rod and Reel Combos offer anglers value for money.
4. PLUSINNO Fishing Rod and Reel
The PLUSINNO Fishing Rod and Reel is a perfect combo kit for anglers of all skill levels.
- The package comes with a lightweight pole, a line, a reel, hooks, bait, and a carrying bag.
- This combo kit takes the strain off your shoulders as it saves you money on items that work together as intended.
- This best ultralight spinning rod for trout is 5.91 feet tall, which makes it an excellent option for the average angler.
- It is perfect for trout fishing, but it can also be used in fresh or saltwater.
- In combination with the comfortable handle, you will love this kit.
- Fiberglass mixed with carbon fibers makes it a flexible and durable structure that will last for years.
- It’s also a telescopic pole that flips open for easy storage.
5. Sougayilang Fishing Rod Reel Combos
The Sougayilang Fishing Rod Reel Combos is our best choice for backpacking because it can be folded to a compact size.
- Even so, you can still achieve a great length even with the pole fully extended.
- The pole itself is quite impressive and is made of 24 tons of carbon fiber and electronic glass.
- The fixings contain screws, so this best trout rod and reel combo is still very stable and robust despite its telescopic design.
- Also, several guides are available that make it extremely easy to install the line on the pole.
- The weight is very light, which is also a great feature, and it doesn’t even stop you from catching trout fish.
6. Richcat Fishing Rod and Reel Combo
The Richcat Fishing Rod and Reel Combo are made from high-density carbon fiber combined with fiberglass, making it hard and durable.
- This best fishing rod for bass and trout features high-quality guides that minimize line friction, allowing your weights and lures to cast farther.
- The foldable handle supports both left/right-hand interchange, satisfying various anglers’ needs.
- The fishing reel comes with 400 feet pre-loaded wire, making it perfect for trout fishing in rivers, lakes, reservoirs, pond, and sea.
- Additionally, the reel seat and guide are corrosion-resistant aluminum, making it suitable for surf and saltwater fishing.
- The Richcat Fishing Rod and Reel Combo have a comfortable anti-slip handle that allows you to cast farther.
Our top recommendation for the best fishing pole for Trout is the TROUTBOY Black Warrior Fishing Rod and Reel Combos. This fishing pole offers better value as you can adjust the action, power, and length for trout fishing. The pole is also durable for extra power without the risk of the pole snapping.
Several factors can improve your chances of catching a fish. Putting the best fishing pole for Trout in your hand will go a long way towards achieving this. We hope you consider some of the tips above the next time you buy a new trout pole.
- “How to Rig a Fishing Pole for Trout: The Complete Guide | LureMeFish”. Accessed November 29, 2020. Link.
- “Choosing A Fishing Rod: Fiberglass vs. Graphite and Composites | Coastal Angler & The Angler Magazine”. Accessed November 29, 2020. Link.
- “Fishing Rod Power and Action – Explained | Fishing My Way”. Accessed November 29, 2020. Link.