If you want to get the most out of your skateboard, you need to wax it. Without the wax, your skateboard will not glide as efficiently on snow, limiting your speed and potentially affecting your overall enjoyment.
Our top pick for the best ski waxing kits is the Demon Complete Ski Tune Kit. You will hard-pressed to find a better ski waxing kit than this. It comes with all the necessary waxing kit for a sleek job.
It is a good idea to regularly wax your board, and if you ride a lot, you should wax it even more.
While it is easy to get a waxing job at the snowboard store and rental, it’s more affordable and easier to do it yourself. The job requires a wax kit, making it an excellent investment for any snowboarder.
In this guide, we will look at the best ski waxing kits to help you slide through the snow and get the most out of your season.
Table of Contents
- BEST Ski Waxing Kits – Comparison Table
- How to Wax your Skis or Snowboard?
- Can I Wax Skis Without an Iron?
- What to Look for?
- Best Ski Waxing Kits Reviews
- Key References
BEST Ski Waxing Kits – Comparison Table
How to Wax your Skis or Snowboard?
Waxing your skis or snowboard involves following the provided instructions that come with a kit or on the advice of a specialist. However, the basic process includes the following:
- Remove old wax with a spray remover.
- Rub on a fresh coat of wax if using stick wax.
- Use a wax iron to evenly apply it if using hot wax.
- Wait for at least 15 minutes for the wax to cool before continuing.
- Scrape the snowboard to remove excess wax.
- Smooth the surface and polish it.
- Use your hand to locate uneven areas.
Can I Wax Skis Without an Iron?
One essential tool you can use to wax your ski is an iron. Many waxing kits come with an iron explicitly designed for waxing a board.
- You don’t always need a wax iron as part of your wax kit.
- Getting a kit that does not have an iron will save you a ton of money.
- Note, however, that you will still need it.
- You can use an old iron if you want to save some money.
- Irons for waxing skis and snowboards do not have holes in the base as they do not require steam.
- Instead, they only have a flat metal bottom that heats and melts the wax.
What to Look for?
Waxing and tuning your board yourself is cheaper than taking it to a store. Of course, you need to know what you are doing, and you need to have the right tools. The effectiveness of a waxing kit determines its general utility. The best ski waxing kit should be able to repair any damage to your board. This means sharpening, smoothing, and polishing. It also means applying melted wax to the damaged areas. This can be dangerous. The waxing kit should contain easy-to-understand and detailed instructions.
If the kit is faulty, the iron will not heat the wax evenly. The wax won’t reach the desired temperature. The repairs will be broken. Inadequate quality tools will not sharpen your snowboard at the desired angles. Polishing and filing won’t be possible. The best ski waxing kits ensure self-sufficiency all the time, even when sliding on the slope and you need repairs.
B) Ease of Use
Learning to use a waxing kit properly takes time and patience, just like any other tool. With a little practice and time, understanding how each component in the kit works is easy. With a good understanding of how each component works, using the kit shouldn’t be difficult. Every tool in the kit, from the sharpener to the iron, should be simple to use. When a tool is used correctly, and it doesn’t work, the kit is not easy to use. This defeats the purpose of a waxing kit. Ultimately, a visit to the store is required to resolve the issue.
C) Advanced Feature
In general, the more advanced the waxing kit has, the better. There are vital tools like files, sharpeners, and wax iron. Some of these advanced features include bevels, PTEX strips, blocks, diamond-tipped stones, vices, and multi-tools. The key is to have advanced features that don’t get in the way. The kit should be light and portable, or it will be inconvenient.
When you’re going on a skiing trip, the fewer items you need to carry, the better. A portable kit is essential. The best ski waxing kit must have a zipper and, ideally, a shoulder strap. Also, the kit should be lightweight; otherwise, it is bulky to carry. Most of the kits reviewed in this guide weigh 5lbs or less. They are compact, small, and practical.
Best Ski Waxing Kits Reviews
Here are the top 6 best ski waxing kits on the market today:
1. Demon Complete Ski Tune Kit
The Demon Complete Ski Tune Kit is an excellent option for winter sports enthusiasts looking to save a lot of money on their skis or snowboard maintenance.
- It comprises 13 waxing items, including a waxing stone, wire-bristle brush, metal scraper, shaving brush, 7.5-inch large wax scraper, white and black P-Tex, 90/88° edge turner, polishing pad, a flat-file, and an instruction manual to help you get through the correct setup process.
- Also, it comes with the Demon’s dual tension wax iron with an adjustable temperature between 65°C and 230°C.
- Thanks to the numbering on the button, the temperature is relatively easy to adjust.
- One other item in this kit is a 133g bar of Demon wax, ideal if your board only needs that particular wax. However, suppose you need other types of wax.
- In that case, the Demon has a variety of high-quality scented wax mixes in stock to suit different conditions.
- Finally, this kit comes with a carrying case with an equally sturdy handle that guarantees years of service.
2. RaceWax Complete Ski Snowboard Wax Tuning Kit
The RaceWax Complete Ski Snowboard Wax Tuning Kit is one of the best ski waxing kits you can have.
3. Demon Charger Complete Ski and Snowboard Tuning Kit
The Demon Charger Complete Ski and Snowboard Tuning Kit come with everything you need for a sleek waxing job.
- The Demon snowboard tuning kit comes with a high-quality waxing iron that has a dual temperature gauge.
- Besides an iron, high-quality wax, 2 brushes, and 2 scrapers, it also includes a few tools for waxing your board.
- You will also get various wax styles to match different conditions.
- The Demon Charger Complete Ski and Snowboard Tuning Kit are designed for base or racing prep in different conditions, so it is recommended to serious snowboarders and enthusiasts.
- The convenient travel bag makes it easy to keep the kit stashed in your luggage or car for waxing jobs on the road.
4. Winterial Snowboard and Ski Tuning Kit
The Winterial Snowboard and Ski Tuning Kit is a waxing kit that offers it all. It is perfect for beginners or experienced snowboarders.
- The ski waxing kit contains a variety of useful tools.
- Keeping your snowboard in top condition has never been easier.
- The sharpener has multiple angles for convenience.
- Typical onboard tuners are 90°. The sharpener in this kit has 87, 88, 89, and 90 degrees, allowing for exceptional precision sharpening.
- The angle of the edge of the base is also adjustable.
- The ski waxing kit weighs just 4.8 pounds. Despite its low weight, the Winterial Snowboard and Ski Tuning Kit include a plastic scraper, wax iron, carrying case, edge tuner, all-weather snowboard wax, and PTEX strips, metal scraper, apron wax, file, Fibertex pads, and cleaning brush.
5. Swix North Kit Ski/Snowboard Tuning Kit
The Swix North Kit Ski/Snowboard Tuning Kit combines eight most commonly used Swix waxing and tuning items into a kit that keeps your snowboards and skis running all season smoothly.
- The waxing iron is made explicitly for waxing bases and has an adjustable temperature that makes it easy to dial in.
- additionally, the iron has an ergonomic handle that makes it convenient to use.
- This Swix ski tuning kit comes with a nylon/bronze combo brush that is perfect for cleaning and finishing your bases.
- The kit includes a 180g universal wax that works well in most winter conditions.
- The sharp plexiglass scraper in this kit removes the excess wax from the base evenly.
- The Swix North Kit Ski/Snowboard Tuning Kit is made with biodegradable materials, making it an eco-friendly option.
- The convenient carrying bag keeps your waxing kit together.
6. RaceWax Stay Sharp Ski Edge Kit
If you want a high-quality racing wax, the RaceWax Stay Sharp Ski Edge Kit is a perfect choice.
- This Ski Edge tuning kit is all you need to bevel and sharpen your edges for both the side and base edges.
- The edge tuners can dial a precise angle ranging from 0 to 5 degrees, so it can do every angle you will ever need.
- The file cleaning brush helps to remove metal filings from grooves.
- The four RaceWax diamond stones serve different purposes – the black stone offers the best cutting action.
- The blue is perfect for routine edge sharpening and maintenance.
- The red is ideal for edge polishing and deburring, while the green is for smooth edge polishing.
- The RaceWax Stay Sharp Ski Edge Kit includes a metal file with 4 RaceWax diamond stones, brake retainers, brass cleaning brush, deburring Gummi stone, and instructions.
Our top recommendation for the best ski waxing kits is the Demon Complete Ski Tune Kit. You will hard-pressed to find a better ski waxing kit than this. It comes with all the necessary waxing kit for a sleek job.
Waxing your snowboard is essential. There’s no way to avoid it. If you ride hard or frequently, you must wax your board a few times per season.
The ski waxing kits listed in this guide provide you with all the tools you need to properly maintain your board and even optimize it if you wish.
- “How to wax and tune your snowboard at home | The Nonstop Snow Journal”. Accessed November 18, 2020. Link.