Hydration packs are handy for mountain bikers. Even with the advent of bibs for carrying gears, nothing compares to hydration packs in terms of gear-hauling capacity and water.
Our best hydration packs for mountain biking are SHARKMOUTH Tactical MOLLE Hydration Pack. Its matrix back panel and adjustable RS suspension give you on-the-back stability and exceptional breathability. We love its streamlined profile, 3-liter hydro reservoir, and bike-specific organization.
The best hydration packs for mountain biking will not only help you prepare for your mountain biking adventure but will also help you organize your riding gear.
Table of Contents
- Best Hydration Packs – Comparison Table
- What are Hydration Packs?
- How does Hydration Packs Help During Mountain Biking?
- What to Look for?
- Best Hydration Packs for Mountain Biking
- Key References
Best Hydration Packs – Comparison Table
What are Hydration Packs?
Hydration packs are waist packs or backpacks that are primarily intended for carrying water. They make drinking water on the go more efficient and convenient.
- With most hydration packs for mountain biking, riders need not stop or even slow down to drink water.
- All they have to do is to just take the drink tube that is connected to the supplied water tank (also known as a bladder).
- Also, the sleeve is equipped with suspenders allowing the rider to carry it on his back, just like a thin and long backpack.
How does Hydration Packs Help During Mountain Biking?
It is essential to drink enough water when mountain biking, so a sport-specific hydration pack is helpful.
- The best hydration packs for mountain biking have some features that make them more suitable for cycling than other activities.
- First, the outer material for mountain biking packs is more robust. They can withstand normal wear and tear on the trail of dust, rain, dirt, as well as other natural elements.
- The best hydration packs for mountain biking are made of durable synthetic materials such as polyester, nylon, or CORDURA.
Hydration packs also have a bladder made from high-quality material such as TPU. They are equipped with antibacterial technology to prevent odors.
- This is particularly important for cycling as it can get very hot on lengthy rides.
- Besides, the tube and valve facilitate access to water. With this technology, you can drink with one hand or hands-free while riding your bike.
What to Look for?
A) Stability and Fitment
No doubt, one main negative aspect of hydration packs for mountain biking is the tendency to crash during maneuvers.
- A good deal of hydration pack bladders is thin and compact compared to other larger hiking counterparts.
- A load of several gallons of water moving on your spine during riding movements can be exhausting, irritating, and abrasive.
- When purchasing a hydration pack, make sure the pack is suitable for mountain biking.
If the hydration pack you choose contains its bladder, consider cleaning it.
- If you choose a hydration bladder, you can easily forget that you have to wash the item forever.
- This can be quite stressful if the bladder is oddly shaped or has a small opening.
- The easiest to wash are the shirt bladders, where the entire body of the bladder can be removed with a top upper opening.
Keeping your cell phone, keys, and wallet in your pocket while riding is a simple way to misplace them.
- Therefore, most men and women opt for a package with additional storage space to keep their belongings safe.
- However, some riders only look for a package that keeps their keys.
- Other people use mountain biking with overnight or camping trips, so they need a pack that contains many essentials for traveling.
- Some backpacks also come with a helmet storage area when you are riding.
The size of hydration packs ranges from a small shiny pack that is only intended to carry water to a kind of hiking backpack that can hold all your belongings.
- The size also includes the amount of water your pack can hold.
- If you are going on a lengthy bike ride, you will want more water, and that means you should choose a 2 or 3-liter pack instead of a 1-liter variant.
- The tank (or bladder) is what holds your water, and they come in a variety of shapes and sizes.
Best Hydration Packs for Mountain Biking
Here are the top 6 best hydration packs for mountain biking on the market:
1. MARCHWAY Tactical Molle Hydration Pack
The MARCHWAY Tactical Molle Hydration Pack is made of a heavy-duty water repellant material with superior wear resistance. Hence, you are guaranteed a hydration pack that will last for long.
- The quick-release valve allows riders to refill water without needing to connect hose.
- Additionally, the large opening is easy to add an ice cube and clean. It features a 360 degrees rotatable mouthpiece that allows for easy drinking.
- The shut on/off valve makes it convenient to adjust the water flow. It has a middle groove that keeps the bladder flat, making it easier to place into the pack.
- The main bag can hold a large or small opening water reservoir and is compatible with most water bladder on the market.
- The MARCHWAY Tactical Molle Hydration Pack is equipped with 3 breathable mesh pads that allow for rapid airflow, giving you ultra relaxed carrying.
2. Gregory Drift 14 Men’s Mountain Biking Hydration Backpack
The Gregory Drift 14 Men’s Mountain Biking Hydration Backpack is a breathable mountain biking pack with a 3D water reservoir.
- This best hydration pack for running/biking offers riders customizable load management through a vertically adjustable belt, which allows the rider to move the belt lower or higher to compensate for body position.
- The matrix ventilated foam throughout the harness and back panel offers evaporative cooling and exceptional airflow.
- This bike hydration pack features a dedicated hydration pocket that allows a snap-and-go, one-handed reservoir installation.
- The right or left harness routing offers options for hydration bite valve management.
- The removable zippered tool pouch has a storage pocket within the main compartment that protects your tools and eliminates bounce.
- Additionally, the dual-zippered hip belt pockets provide quick access to items on the go.
3. SHARKMOUTH Tactical MOLLE Hydration Pack
The SHARKMOUTH Tactical MOLLE Hydration Pack is equipped with insulated hydration tubes that keep the water in the reservoir cool for up to four hours.
- The included two-liter hydration bladder contains no BPA (bisphenol) and has no inherent odor or taste.
- The large opening in the hydration bladder makes filling and cleaning relatively easy.
- The excellent compartmentalization of the backpack allows for quick access to your primary gears.
- The MOLLE lining makes attaching several small add-ons quite easy. Also, it has compression straps to attach larger items and a D-ring on the shoulder strap to attach smaller items.
- The hip, chest, and shoulder straps are all adjustable. The back padding lends itself to ventilation and comfort.
4. CamelBak Adult M.U.L.E. Antidote Hydration Backpack
The CamelBak Adult M.U.L.E. Antidote Hydration Backpack comes with a 3-liter bladder, complete with an easy to open and ergonomic cap that makes for quick refilling.
- The extra-large straw and Crux water reservoir give riders more water with every sip.
- Also, you will find the on/off lever makes it very easy to get all the water you need while mountain biking.
- This bike hydration pack is designed with your comfort in mind. The mesh back panel and ventilated mesh straps will keep riders from heavily sweating while riding.
- Although the straps can be a little snug on the shoulders, this camelbak hydration pack is lightweight enough that you will hardly notice it.
- The CamelBak Adult M.U.L.E. Antidote Hydration Backpack is made from durable fabric that can withstand rugged uses.
5. Osprey Packs Viper 9 Hydration Pack
With lots of space for water in a high-performance, versatile, and light package, the Osprey Packs Viper 9 Hydration Pack offers a simple solution for mountain bikers looking to travel light.
- This Osprey Raptor 14 comes with a 2.5-liter water reservoir and 5 varying sized compartmentalized pockets, giving riders a place for almost everything.
- With a mesh material and neat back panel cushioning, the sweaty back syndrome is immensely reduced.
- This Osprey hydration pack itself is made from a sturdy synthetic material that can withstand the usual scuffs and scrapes of mountain biking.
- The Osprey Packs Viper 9 Hydration Pack allows for organized carrying and can be loaded for all-day riding.
6. Dakine Session 8L Bike Hydration Backpack
The Dakine Session 8L Bike Hydration Backpack is a full-featured back panel yet minimalist pack combining airy shoulder straps with the comfort of a breathable back panel.
- This lightweight and small pack feature a two-liter vertical water reservoir with a bite valve.
- The included magnetic clip will ensure the hose doesn’t fly around.
- The hydration pack offers lots of storage, including a fleece-lined pocket, an organized front pocket, external attachment straps, plus additional side pockets.
- The front pocket is convenient for storing your necessary gear. In contrast, the fleece-lined pocket is fantastic for keeping your shades or phone.
Our top pick for the best hydration packs for mountain biking is SHARKMOUTH Tactical MOLLE Hydration Pack. It features matrix back panel and adjustable RS suspension that give you on-the-back stability and exceptional breathability. We love its streamlined profile, 3-liter hydro reservoir, and bike-specific organization.
We hope our expert guide will help you choose the best hydration pack for your needs while mountain biking.
Choosing a good hydration pack that fits your needs will increase your enjoyment of mountain biking and improve your performance.
- “The Importance of Hydration Packs for Hikers | How Important”. Accessed July 04, 2020. Link.