Technically speaking, a lightweight and durable tent is just what you need if you are going on an adventure over long distances or if you want to use your motorcycle as an overlander. But, what is the best tent for motorcycle camping? Read on.
Our top pick for the best tent for motorcycle camping is the NTK Indy GT XL Motorcycle Camping Tent. It is a durable and lightweight motorcycle camping tent that offers you reliable shelter.
The interior size offers enough room to get a comfortable night rest, and the vestibule area provides you a nice place to keep your essentials dry at night.
However, if you want to not only protect yourself from the elements but also take care of your bike storage overnight, you should certainly take a look at the best tent for motorcycle camping that we will review in this guide.
Not only do they offer a place to sleep, but they also have extended canvases to cover the motorcycle, or even have separate garage extensions.
Table of Contents
- Best Motorcycle Tents – Comparison Table
- Motorcycle Camping Gear List
- What to Look for in a Tent for Motorcycle Camping?
- Best Tent for Motorcycle Camping
- Key References
Best Motorcycle Tents – Comparison Table
Motorcycle Camping Gear List
Here are all the essential items you may need on your next motorcycle camping trip.
- Sleeping bag
- Foil blanket
- Neck scarf
- Jag bag
- Cooking equipment
- Foldable washbowl
- Mini chopping board
- Mora knife
- Hand sanitizer
- Camping chairs
- Ground mat
- Head torch
- Shower bag
- Foldable grill
- Wet wipes
What to Look for in a Tent for Motorcycle Camping?
A) Weather Proofing and Resistance
Most tents are designed for three-season use. A three-season tent covers spring, summer, and autumn. You will not be camping in winter, and even if you do, you likely won’t be camping in cold weather. If you go to high altitudes, there is a risk of wintry conditions so you can consider a three to four-season tent. The four-season tent is intended mainly for mountaineers and is heavy.
B) Doors and Windows
We recommend going to a tent with lots of mesh and windows panels for ventilation. This is particularly important if you want to live or travel in regions with a warmer climate. Besides, it’s also an excellent idea to have a tent with up to 2 exits/entrances, particularly if you want to use it with other people. However, please note that new doors can often mean additional transport weight.
C) Tent Vestibules and Garages
The vestibules are the verandas of the camping world. They can be used to store many things like a backpack, shoes, and other equipment. Also, they can be used to sit or hang out in the rain. Most tents are equipped with a vestibule or at least one awning. Some tents, however, come with removable vestibules if you wish to expand your space.
D) Simple Installation Process
The best tent for motorcycle camping should come with color-coded poles and accessories. Many tents have installation instructions that are conveniently printed on the tote bags, so you never lose them. Also, you should be aware that larger tents require more time and more poles to set up than smaller units will.
Best Tent for Motorcycle Camping
Here are the best tents for motorcycle camping on the market:
1. ALPS Mountaineering Lynx 1-Person Tent
The ALPS Mountaineering Lynx Tent is a high-quality tent for motorcycle camping that does not come with a high price point.
- This free-standing tent comes with a two-pole design that offers enough space for you and your bike.
- The interior of the tent has a base size of 2’8 by 7’6 feet, and the rainfly creates a 10 sq.
- foot vestibule for keeping your additional gear.
- The upper part of the tent is made from mesh, while the lower part is made of durable poly taffeta with a 2000mm coating.
- It features a D-shaped mesh door that uses large zippers on the doors.
- Additionally, the interior of the tent has two mesh pockets on the ends and clips on the canopy where you can hang your clothes to dry or a camping lantern.
- Overall, the ALPS Mountaineering Lynx 1-Person Tent is a great tent at an acceptable price point.
- This lone rider motorcycle tent is easy to set up, lightweight, and compact.
2. Coleman Hooligan Backpacking Tent
The Coleman Hooligan Backpacking Tent is one of the best tents for motorcycle camping on the market.
- Thanks to the WeatherTec system, this tent is extremely water-resistant.
- This coleman hooligan motorcycle tent uses inverted seams, which help reduce the risk of water entering the tent.
- Additionally, the weather-resistant zipper cuff provides extra protection against outdoor weather elements.
- The welding inspired floors to strengthen not only the tent’s floor but also eliminate needle holes.
- It features a fully covered vestibule that keeps the interior of your clean as it creates a dry entrance.
- The vestibule has enough space for all space.
- The pin-and ring-system keeps corner connections from slipping.
- Thanks to the mesh pockets conveniently located in the tent’s walls, you can stash your small essentials within reach.
- The included rainfly offers extra protection in wet weather conditions.
- With guy-out triangles and redesigned poles, the frame of this tent is designed to be more wind-responsive and stronger.
3. Abel Brown Nomad 3 Adventure Motorcycle Camping Tent
If you are looking for a tent that is simple to use but does not sacrifice protection and comfort, then this tent is an excellent choice.
- This nomad motorcycle tent is made of 30D ripstop nylon that is stronger, lighter, and more compact.
- The double waterproof fabric treatment and a silicon coating on the exterior of the fabric will ensure you stay dry from the elements.
- Additionally, the sturdier and wider seam tape ensures this lone rider motorcycle tent is 100 percent waterproof.
4. Night Cat Waterproof Camping Tent
The Night Cat Waterproof Camping Tent is the best instant tent for motorcycle camping. The hydraulic pressure mechanism makes it easy to set up and take down.
- Thanks to the waterproof tape and rainproof fabric, the interior of the tent is totally dry under any wet condition.
- The sturdy framework is well equipped to withstand adverse conditions and high wind.
- Each door has two side zippers that make entry and exit easy.
- Additionally, the thick B3 mesh fabric in the windows help keep your essential gear safe.
- This minimalist motorcycle camping tent is spacious enough to accommodate your bike and three people.
- Beyond that, the screened window provides ventilation without allowing the bugs in.
- With comfortable carrying and simple setup, the Night Cat Waterproof Camping Tent is the perfect tent for motorcycle camping.
5. NTK Indy GT XL Motorcycle Camping Tent
The NTK Indy GT XL Motorcycle Camping Tent is easy to assemble, waterproof, and durable.
- This spacious one door tent has a comfortable floor size and a 6.2 feet center height for optimal comfort.
- The 2500mm water column 0ffers full coverage while the heat-seamed coating provides UV protection.
- Also, the inner tent has a sizeable two-way zipper with full mesh protection.
- Its unique European design delivers a vestibule that has a side door and an awning.
- The gold chrome-plated hardware and extra thick fiberglass poles offer a sturdy construction. The ultra-thin polyester micro mesh fabric will keep you safe from mosquitoes and other insects.
- The floor material is made from anti-fungal polyethylene, which prevents leaks, keeping you protected and dry.
6. FLYTOP Double Layer Backpacking Tent
If you are looking for a 4-season tent for your motorcycle camping adventures, then the FLYTOP Double Layer Backpacking Tent is the best choice. It comes with a snow skirt that allows you to use it during the winter months.
- The 2 entryways offer maximum convenience and ventilation for warmer nights.
- It has a 2-sided zipper design that allows you to open the doors from either side.
- It also features 2 pop-up ventilation windows that allow airflow when it’s raining.
- The mesh wall panels enhance thermal performance.
- It has a built-in light hook and storage pockets for phones, lights, and other small essentials.
- The aluminum tent pegs ensure the tent can withstand strong wind.
- Additionally, the reflective windproof ropes protect you from tripping over the pegs in the night.
Without a doubt, the Coleman Hooligan Backpacking Tent is our pick for the most feature-rich tent for motorcycle camping. Its fully covered vestibule area, pin-and-ring system, storage pockets, included rainfly, protected seams, wind-strong frame, zipper protection, and waterproof floors makes it our top choice.
Our top recommendation for the best tent for motorcycle camping is the NTK Indy GT XL Motorcycle Camping Tent. It includes a durable and lightweight motorcycle camping tent. The interior size provides enough room to get a comfortable night rest, and the vestibule area provides you a beautiful place to keep your essentials dry at night.
A motorcycle camping trip can be an exciting experience for both beginners and experienced cyclists.
Motorcycle camping combines two incredible activities: cycling and camping. There’s no adventure like that on the open road. Although each of the 6 tents for motorcycle cycling on our list offers fantastic options, you should definitely choose the one that suits you.
- “3 season vs 4 season tent. What’s the difference? – TreeLineBackpacker”. Accessed July 01, 2020. Link.
- “How To Tackle Condensation In Your Tent – Practical Advice – Camping – Out and About Live”. Accessed July 01, 2020. Link.