When it comes to hiking with your little one, nothing is better than investing in the best hiking backpacks for babies. Exposure to nature is tremendously good for infants (sleeping benefits and language development).
Our top pick for the best hiking backpacks for babies is the Deuter Kid Comfort Child Carrier Backpack. It comes with all the bells and whistles you could want in a hiking backpack: a well-ventilated fabric, an integrated sunshade, an ergonomic child seat, a removable pillow for drooling/napping, foot stirrups, step-in side access, and easy adaptability to various parent heights. Its superior comfort makes it a can't-go-wrong option for most adventurers with babies.
Table of Contents
- Best Hiking Backpacks For Babies – Comparison Table
- How do Hiking Backpacks for Babies Help Parents?
- What to Look for?
- Best Hiking Backpacks for Babies
- Key References
Whether you are looking for an economical option or just want the best option that money can buy, there is an option for you in this guide.
Best Hiking Backpacks For Babies – Comparison Table
How do Hiking Backpacks for Babies Help Parents?
Research has shown that exercising and getting out in nature is immensely beneficial to mothers battling hormonal changes.
- Hiking backpacks for babies are perfect hiking alternatives to regular baby carriers.
- This is because the hiking backpacks have the best features to give you lots of space to store everything you need for your adventure.
- Hiking backpacks are an ideal choice for parents who want to travel with their babies. These diaper bags are not only practical but also incredibly versatile.
What to Look for?
As soon as your child can sit up on their own (usually around 6 to 8 months), they can start joining you on some of your adventures. But before you head into the outdoors, here are a few key things to keep in mind when selecting the right child carrier for your family.
First, make sure the carrier is the right fit for both you and your little passenger. Most hiking backpacks use adjustable suspension systems that can fit virtually any torso length. The adjustable suspension is an essential feature for parents who want to commit to the hiking backpack for babies. The suspension configuration is measured based on torso range specifications.
An aluminum frame will direct most of your child’s weight into the hip belt, where it can be carried the most comfortably. A durable and lightweight tubular aluminum frame provides the necessary structure to support the weight of an older child. The frame also allows the weight of the child and the carrier to be transferred to their hips, making this weight more comfortable to carry.
Unlike traditional baby carriers, hiking backpacks come with a kickstand, which provides a stable platform for loading and unloading your child. The kickstands can be spring-loaded, extended manually, or fixed in place, for your baby. Also, they are designed so that you don’t pinch your fingers when retracting.
Strap Harnesses and Seat Heights
Flexible strap harnesses and adjustable seat heights not only keep children secure but ensure a comfy fit as they grow. Child carriers can include a variety of practical features like shades for rain and sun, hydration compatibility, and drool guards. Some even come with zip-off day packs or diaper bags.
Best Hiking Backpacks for Babies
Here are the best hiking backpacks for babies on the market today:
1. Luvdbaby Premium Baby Backpack Carrier
The Luvdbaby Premium Baby Backpack Carrier is a budget-friendly hiking backpack for babies.
- Made of durable nylon material, the backpack is waterproof to withstand all the elements.
- It has lots of small and large pockets, some zippered and some mesh.
- There is also an insulated pocket for a drink or baby battle.
- The backpack can be adjusted easily to fit most heights, making it perfect for parents of all heights.
- It has a waistband and padded shoulder straps, so it is comfortable for baby-carrying parents.
- The aluminum frame features a kick-out stand for stability when it is placed down.
- Additionally, the backpack is equipped with a comfortable cockpit for your little one, as well as adjustable stirrups and safety straps.
- The stowable hood protects your baby from the harmful sunray.
2. Kelty Journey PerectFIT Signature Series Child Carrier
The Kelty Journey PerectFIT Signature Series Child Carrier is the perfect backpack for hiking with older kids.
- With impressive storage capacity and lightweight design, the backpack is spacious enough for your child and extra gear.
- Additionally, the aut0-deploy kickstand, padded roll bar, and lightweight aluminum frame make this backpack very sturdy.
- The adjustable stirrups and broad seat base keep your child comfortable.
- Designed for parent’s comfort too, the suspension system adjusts to perfectly fit.
- The mesh pockets on the hip belt are perfect for keeping small essentials, while the large pocket is great for storing baby essentials like snacks, toys, and sunscreen.
- With generous storage pockets, hydration sleeve, and integrated sunshade, the Kelty Journey PerectFIT Signature Series Child Carrier is built for big adventures and regular use.
3. Dada Hip Seat Backpack Carrier
With eight different carrying positions, the Dada Hip Seat Backpack Carrier is designed for use in all seasons.
- This best baby carrier features a Velcro with full coverage for easier alignment and more secured closure.
- The zippered side pocket is perfect for storing small items like milk bottles, sippy cup, teether, pacifier, diapers, and many more.
- This best baby backpack carrier for dads features a breathable mesh front cover and seat top for airflow.
- The sturdy and care easy fabric is machine washable.
- The ‘X’ and ‘H’ shaped shoulder strap designs help prevent the straps from slipping off.
- The distributed pressure points of this backpack help keep both baby and wearer’s spines straight, making it easy and light on the back and shoulders.
- The waistband is adjustable, so the backpack will fit most mom and dad.
4. Thule Sapling Elite Child Carrier Backpack
The Thule Sapling Elite Child Carrier Backpack is one of the most expensive hiking backpacks on our list.
- Still, the loaded extras and solid construction keep it a favorite among many parents.
- This backpack boasts extra inner-thigh stirrups and support for your baby, which keeps their weight distributed evenly for optimal comfort.
- This best baby carrier features a viewing mirror, which makes it easy to monitor your little one throughout the hike.
- With the hydration sleeve that is spacious enough for a 3-liter reservoir, no one will go thirsty.
- The back panel on the backpack is made of a breathable material that allows for cooling airflow while on the move.
- In addition to highly adjustable shoulder straps and stable suspension, the Thule Sapling Elite Child Carrier Backpack has two large hip-belt pockets, sunshade, and a zip-off daypack.
5. Deuter Kid Comfort Child Carrier Backpack
The Deuter Kid Comfort is a high-quality hiking backpack for babies.
- This best baby backpack for travel is highly adjustable with a streamlined, breathable cushion and a 5.5-inch fit from the trunk area.
- The padded shoulder straps and belt are well structured for general comfort.
- The cockpit offers a secure, soft fabric feel with a firm, padded seatbelt and a soft, angled headrest with a removable mucus cover.
- We love the variety of storage options, including a hydration pocket, two water bottle holders, 3 back pockets, and two hip pockets.
- This hiking backpack for babies is heavy and slightly more expensive than most of the products in this guide.
- However, this best carrier backpack has a lot to offer the user and passenger, and we think most parents will appreciate what it has to offer.
- The Deter Kid Comfort 3 storage bag is easily accessible, and the zip works smoothly.
- The zipper is large enough for a jacket, snacks, travel towels, and diapers.
6. TotCraft Hiking Backpack Baby Carrier
Not only is this backpack made with durable material to prevent ripping, but they also use special cushy shoulder straps and lumbar support to keep you and your baby comfortable.
- It is made from non-toxic materials that are guaranteed to be free from allergic and harmful substances.
- With custom teething pads and 4 carrying positions, you can carry your baby according to your preference.
- The shoulder straps use soft padding to cushion the shoulder and prevent bruises that accompany long-term use.
- It is equipped with a tuck-away baby hood for rainy or sunny days, easy breastfeeding, and privacy.
- Its fully adjustable seat width and size makes it perfect for parents of all heights.
Our top recommendation for the best hiking backpacks for babies is the Deuter Kid Comfort Child Carrier Backpack. It features a well-ventilated fabric, an integrated sunshade, an ergonomic child seat, a removable pillow for drooling/napping, foot stirrups, step-in side access, and easy adaptability to various parent heights.
The best hiking backpacks for babies are designed to keep both you and your baby comfortable in any situation. So go have fun and show your kid just how great the outdoors can be.
- “Why You Should Hike with Your Baby (And How to Do It) | Outside Online”. Accessed July 13, 2020. Link.
- “Science proves what you suspected: hiking’s good for your mental health – Los Angeles Times”. Accessed July 13, 2020. Link.