Camping, picnics, and outdoor activities are never complete without grills to devour. Portable grills are designed to be used anywhere. They provide an effortless and quick way to prepare your favorite grills.
Our top pick for the best portable propane grill for camping is the Coleman Camp Propane Grill/Stove. This excellent portable propane grill features a large cooking surface which makes it the perfect product for family camping.
You can cook chicken hamburger, steaks, ribs, patties, or vegetables without the hassle of preparing. If you grill directly over the flame, meat and poultry will cook faster. Imagine how fast it will go with kebabs and veggies.
In this guide, we’ve reviewed the best-selling portable propane camping grills to help you find the perfect grill for your next adventure.
Table of Contents
- Best Portable Propane Grills – Comparison Table
- Advantages of Portable Propane Grill
- What to Look for?
- Best Portable Propane Grill for Camping
- Key References
Best Portable Propane Grills – Comparison Table
Advantages of Portable Propane Grill
Propane is preferred for the portable grill because wood that is fit for cooking is sometimes hard to find, and electricity is not readily available in the woods. So, propane is great for a campsite. As a result, you’ll want to make sure the portable propane grill is easy to turn on, preferably with the push of a button. Playing with night lights is never fun, especially when you are in the middle of nowhere.
What to Look for?
The best propane grill for camping should have a high British Thermal Units (BTU) rating.
- Basically, you are looking at between 60 and 100 BTUs per square inch of your grill.
- So, a 200 square inch grill should have at least 12,000 BTUs.
- Heat isn’t everything, and how the cooking surface heats up is also essential. It is, of course, also possible to have a surplus.
- Beware of propane grills with BTUs that are way outside of these guidelines, as they can easily scorch or dry out anything you plan to cook on them.
- Too high a BTU is a big minus presented as a bonus, and it is likely to be related to other quality control issues as the thermoregulation is obviously wrong.
Steel is a particularly suitable material for making a grill.
- It’s the ideal combination of durability, lightweight, and relatively low conductivity.
- Aluminum is cheap and lightweight, but it conducts heat too well, making it difficult for you to keep your grill warm.
- Although steel works well for cooktops, ceramic is usually better because it heats up evenly and retains heat well while cooling down quickly after turning off the grill.
A grill that is just a grill is perfect for home use, but you want a unit that can do a bit more for camping, especially if you plan to camp for more than a weekend.
- A griddle is a practical necessity for this type of grill so you can cook a wide variety of dishes.
- It makes it easier to boil eggs, fish, and similar foods that tend to lose most of their moisture or crumble on a grill.
- It’s also good to have multiple burners. This allows you to cook one food on a side and another on the other.
A guarantee is essential with any grill (or other devices).
- This is even more important for anything you plan on traveling with, especially camping in the woods and other places where several things can happen to your grill.
- To be able to fix or replace it is a blessing in the event of a disaster.
Best Portable Propane Grill for Camping
Here are the best portable propane grills for camping on the market today:
1. Coleman Camp Propane Grill/Stove
With a heat capacity of up to 22,000 BTUs, Coleman Camp Propane Grill is an excellent portable propane grill with a large cooking surface.
- The large 285 square inch cooking surface makes it the perfect product for family camping.
- This best portable grill for camping also features a lightweight and compact design for easy portability.
- This propane grill has 3 burners with excellent heat settings.
- Thanks to the adjustable heat, the unit is perfect for grilling various meals.
- Imagine being able to cook three separate meals at the same time.
- Besides, the product has a practical water bowl that traps fat and thus keeps the cooking zone clean.
- The removable water bowl also makes cleaning easier.
- Beyond that, there are 2 durable tables on the sides for storing sauces and utensils.
- Of course, the unit also has an instant start function for matchless lighting.
- The built-in thermometer enables accurate and precise temperature measurement and control.
2. Royal Gourmet PD1300 Portable Propane Gas Grill Griddle
Made from portable, powder-coated steel, you can be sure this Royal Gourmet PD1300 Portable Propane Gas Grill Griddle is tough enough to last many seasons.
- The sturdy steel body with ergonomic handles makes it easy to transport the grill wherever you want.
- This best portable grill for RV comes with sturdy cast iron cooking grates that are very easy to clean.
- With 325.9 square inches of cooking surface, it can cook approximately 12 hamburger patties at a time.
- The flat-top non-stick griddle retains heat evenly and helps trap the juices.
- It gives off a rich flavor that you will surely like.
- What is unique about this product are the three adjustable burners, ideal for controlling heat.
- It also comes with a removable grease collecting container for quick and effortless cleaning.
- It is easy to assemble and transport.
3. CUISINART CGG-059 Propane Gas Grill
Perfect for all camping trips, CUISINART CGG-059 Propane Gas Grill is a fantastic unit that offers convenient and super-fast cooking.
- It has a compact design, which makes it portable and perfect for camping.
- The product generates an enormous heat output of 8,000 BTUs.
- 8000 BTU is a perfect capacity, which makes the product perfect for easy and quick meal prep.
- This grill has 146 square inches of cooking surface, which is convenient for cooking pork, kebabs, chicken, or vegetables without running out of space.
- The CUISINART CGG-059 Propane Gas Grill is strong enough to grill for years.
- Its stove is chrome plated to resist corrosion and wear.
- Also, it comes with a heated rack that will keep grilled foods warm when you’re done.
- Installation and cleaning are also straightforward and ideal for any outdoor activity.
4. Coleman Portable Propane Gas Grill
Coleman Portable Propane Gas Grill is a portable propane grill for camping use that provides up to 11,000 BTUs of heat.
- While 11,000 BTUs may not be the highest on the list, it offers an excellent capacity that offers unmatched efficiency.
- Besides, the grill has 2 adjustable burners that allow cooking at the same time for higher speed and efficiency.
- Additionally, the flexible design helps to adjust temperatures for better food preparation.
- Another thing is that there is a handy skillet that traps grease for a cleaner cooking zone.
- It comes with a sturdy premium side table for a convenient holding of utensils and sauces.
- Unmatched lighting makes it comfortable.
- With its lightweight and compact design, the Coleman Portable Propane Gas Grill is a must-have for camping.
5. Coleman Gas Camping Propane Stove
The Coleman Gas Camping Propane Stove has outstanding features.
- The lightweight and compact construction make transport convenient and easy.
- With this weight, you never have to leave your propane grill when you go on a camping trip.
- This best 2-burner portable gas grill also provides 20,000 BTUs of heat.
- It is an excellent capacity for preparing meals in a small space.
- With this type of heat, you can cook all the meals you want without limitation.
- Besides, the unit has 2 adjustable burners that provide better efficiency and performance.
- With 2 burners, up to two meals can be prepared at the same time, saving time.
- The adjustable burners make this portable propane grill more comfortable to use.
- You can adjust the heat to the desired level depending on the food.
- The other notable feature of this best propane grill is the unique interchangeable griddle.
- With this cooktop, the unit can be exchanged for a stove grate or grill.
6. Royal Gourmet PD1301S Portable Gas Grill Griddle
With sturdy feet for added stability, this Royal Gourmet PD1301S Portable Gas Grill Griddle is perfect for all outdoor activities like tailgating and camping.
- With 3 durable stainless-steel burners delivering up to 25, 500 BTUs, the cooktop heats up evenly and quickly.
- It is equipped with a porcelain-enameled cooktop that provides a 312-square-inch cooking surface.
- The large cooking area is ideal for frying eggs, rice, French toast, French fries, burgers, and bacon.
- The robust control panel with the piezo ignition system allows quick lighting and makes grilling easier than ever.
- It features a large grease cup that collects grease residue for convenient cleaning after use.
- The portable design of the Royal Gourmet PD1301S Portable Gas Grill Griddle offers excellent comfort for camping.
Our top recommendation for the best portable propane grill for camping is the Coleman Camp Propane Grill/Stove.
- With a heat capacity of up to 22,000 BTUs, this is an excellent portable propane grill with a large cooking surface.
- The large 285 square inch cooking surface makes it the perfect product for family camping.
- It also features a lightweight and compact design for easy portability.
A portable propane grill can be great for many reasons. It offers you the possibility to prepare delicious meals quickly and generally in a controlled and safe manner. The best portable propane grill can turn a good camping trip into a great one.
- “Charcoal vs. Gas Grilling: The Great Debate | Allrecipes”. Accessed August 10, 2020. Link.
- “Top 5 Questions about Buying a Gas Grill (and the Answers)”. Accessed August 10, 2020. Link.