If you like to go fishing or to spend time relaxing on your boat, nothing can make it better than using a grill. You might want to have a barbecue with your friends or simply have your favorite dish when you take a fishing break.
All the grills in this guide reviewed are of very high quality. But if we had to choose just one, we would go for the Magma Products, Newport II Infrared Gourmet Series Gas Grill (A10-918-2GS).
Table of Contents
- Advantages of grills on boats
- What to look for grills for boats?
- What to avoid in grills?
- What are pontoon boats?
- How to pick grills for pontoon boats?
- How to pick grills for chaparral boats?
- Best Grills for Boats
- 1. Magma Marine Kettle Gas Grill
- 2. Cuisinart Petit Gourmet Portable Tabletop Gas Grill
- 3. Newport II Infrared Gourmet Series Gas Grill
- 4.Magma Connoisseur Series Gas Grills
- 5. Magma Products Marine Kettle Charcoal Grill
- 6. Camco Stainless Steel Portable Propane Gas Grill
- 7. Kuuma 316 Elite Gas Grill44
- 8. Smoke Hollow Grill for Pontoon Boats
- 9. Cuisinart Grill Modified for Pontoon Boat
- 10. Bunker up fishin Adjustable Boat Grill
- Key References
Not to mention that some grilled fish minutes after you caught it might be one of the best treats for a fisherman!
To enjoy a barbecue on the water you will need one of the best grills for boats. This guide will help you find the most efficient grill!
Advantages of grills on boats
Having a grill on your boat can bring a variety of benefits. Once you get a grill for your boat, your life will never be the same as you will reach a new level of comfort.
- For starters, you will be able to have a delicious meal cooked just the way you want it every time you are sailing. There is no need to wait until you get home to have your lunch or dinner when you can prepare it right on your boat.
- You can cook your freshly caught fish if you are on a fishing adventure. This could take your fishing experience to a whole new level of entertainment.
- You have plenty of reasons to create great memories with your friends and family. With a boat grill, you can celebrate different occasions on your boat and have an original party.
What to look for grills for boats?
If you never shopped for a boat grill, there are certain aspects that you should look for to get the one for you!
- The grilling area: To choose the perfect grill for you, you need to establish how much since these grills are portable, you will not have the same coverage you get with regular grills. A grill with a grilling area of 160 sq in will be enough for eight burgers. So, you can choose your grill bigger or smaller than this average size.
- Do you prefer a convection grill? Some of these boat grills come with a lid. This allows your meat to stay juicy and tasty without getting dry. Naturally, a grill without a lid will not offer you this feature. It is essential to know how you want your barbecue to turn out to get the best grill for your boat.
- Stability: One of the most essential features of a boat grill is its stability. Some grills come with a stand that you can use to stabilize them. Other grills will require you to purchase such a stand. Stability is crucial for your safety while you use the grill, so you shouldn’t neglect it.
- Price: The market offers all kinds of boat grills for a variety of prices. Once you establish the main features you are interested in, you will have to look for the best price range of grills with those features. Chances are that you will find a good quality grill for all types of budgets.
What to avoid in grills?
Just like some aspects will help you choose the best grill for your boat, there are also things you need to avoid.
- First of all, stay away from grills that are not stable. If your grill moves, it will potentially ruin your meal and expose you and your loved ones to safety hazards. You want to make sure that your grill is entirely secure as you don’t need to take any risks while you are using it.
- Stay away from grills that are too small too. You want a grill that will accommodate the needs of your crew. While this is a subjective aspect, it is nevertheless an important one. If you choose a grill that is too small, you will take the risk to cook several times to feed all the people present on the boat. This could be a downfall for any event.
What are pontoon boats?
Pontoon boats are flatboats, also called tubes. These boats are some of the most popular as they offer an excellent deck surface to accommodate plenty of activities, including grilling.
Such boats use a pontoon to float, and they can be made of different materials like fiberglass, steel, aluminum, or foam-filled boats. They are great boats for recreational sailing and fishing.
How to pick grills for pontoon boats?
If you have a pontoon boat, you will need to choose the best grill to go with it. Here are several factors that you need to keep in mind:
- Choose between a charcoal grill and a gas grill. Some consider that the charcoal grill offers a much tastier barbecue. However, the gas grill tends to be more convenient as it comes with lower maintenance. You will find grills that work with a cylinder of one pound capacity of propane. But you will have to decide on this aspect based on how many people you are planning to cook for.
- The shape of the grill is also essential. Nowadays, the market offers two options in terms of the shape of the grill. You can choose a rectangular shape or a circular shape. If you are planning to host some bigger events, a rectangular grill will give you the possibility to cook more at once. However, circular grills have other options like the stove option or the rotating option.
- The way you mount your grill is equally essential. If you want to stabilize your grill on the pontoon boat, you will have to choose one that accommodates this system. If this is not a priority for you, there are portable grills that you can put where you find convenient on the deck. If you go for a mounting grill, you need to choose the part of the boat where you will put it on. This shouldn’t bother the captain or the fishermen, but it shouldn’t expose the grill to water either.
How to pick grills for chaparral boats?
Chaparral boats are trendy for cocktail parties as well as other recreational events. The best type of grill you can purchase for such boats are the mounted grills or the tabletop ones.
The reason for choosing a mounting grill is that it will be more stable and offer you more safety as you are enjoying it. If you don’t purchase a mounting grill, you can opt for a regular one and invest in a separate stand to use when you install it.
Best Grills for Boats
Here are the top 10 best grills for boats on the market today.
1. Magma Marine Kettle Gas Grill
One of the first grills (A10-215) we want to mention is this Magma Marine model. The advantages offered by this grill can take your sailing adventure to a new level. You can use this grill on pontoon boats as well as any other types of boats.
- You can choose between a 15-inch diameter and a 17-inch diameter. This gives you the option to get the grill size you need for your sailing trips.
- The material of this grill is stainless steel, which makes it not only very resistant but also very easy to clean.
- The grill comes with a grease catch pan as well as a wind baffler and a lid. You will like the fact that the lid will not slam shut, and it comes with a stay-cool type of handle.
- Among other features, this grill comes with a swiveling feature as well as waterproof venturi and a control valve. With this grill, you don’t have to worry about blowouts or safety hazards.
- You can rotate the bowl and the lid to prevent wind from affecting your barbecue.
- There is also the option to do radiant cooking or convection cooking with this grill as the plate gets to the desired temperature fast.
- Separately, you can purchase a mounting system if you wish to install it on your boat, but you can also use it as a portable grill.
2. Cuisinart Petit Gourmet Portable Tabletop Gas Grill
Another excellent grill (CGG-180T) for your boat is this product offered by Cuisinart. It will work for pontoon boats, but you can make the most out of it as a tabletop grill.
- You can choose between four styles of this grill in different colors. Also, one of them comes with an extra stand if you need to stabilize it more and at a different height.
- This is a portable grill, which is the main reason why it will work for pontoon boats as well as other types of boasts. You can fold the legs according to your needs, so you make this grill more user-friendly.
- You can use this grill for cooking up to eight burgers, four pounds of fish, or between six and ten chicken breasts. This is an impressive amount for a boat grill. The grilling surface is 145 sq in.
- The grate is made of a porcelain and enamel material while the burner is a 5, 500 BTU stainless steel.
- This is a very stable grill with aluminum legs and a set of feet to count on. It also has a lid lock that keeps it safely closed as you need to.
- The weight of this grill is only 13.5 pounds, which makes it very easy to move where you want as well.
3. Newport II Infrared Gourmet Series Gas Grill
This Magma grill (A10-918-2GS) will not disappoint you if you need such a product for your boat. You can use this grill as it is on a pontoon boat or add a mounting system for other types of boats.
- You will love the sleek design of this grill. It is perfect for accommodating any type of event and very easy to use on your boat.
- It works on a dynamic combustion system and offers you a seethrough glass that is thermal resistant.
- The primary material used for this grill is stainless steel with a thermometer that is hermetically sealed.
- The grilling area is 162 sq in which is more generous than other similar grills. You also receive a grease trail, and the legs can be folded away as you need.
- You can use this grill with a one-pound propane canister or connect it to the LPG or CNG system on your boat. It also has a radiant infrared electronic ignition type of screens.
4.Magma Connoisseur Series Gas Grills
This Magma grill (A10-803) is ideal for professionals, but it is just as efficient for everyone who wants to enjoy a barbecue on the water. You can use it for pontoon boats as well as Chaparral boats as long as you get the right mounting system.
- You can choose between two different styles according to your cooking needs.
- The legs are fold-away style, and you can lock the lid when you are cooking. Plus, the grill comes with a handle that makes it even more comfortable to use.
- The grease tray will capture all the grease so you can clean the grill easier when you are done using it.
- The radiant plate can be removed easily, and it will spread the heat evenly as you are cooking your barbecue. You can count on the stainless-steel material of this grill for excellent durability as well.
- If you need to exchange the gas bottle, all you need to do is use the swiveling valve of this grill, and you will not face any safety hazards. The grilling surface is 162 sq in.
5. Magma Products Marine Kettle Charcoal Grill
Magma offers this high-quality grill (A10-114) that will work on Chaparral boats as well as on pontoon boats. For Chaparral boats, you might need to invest in an attachment system.
- You can decide between a 15-inch grill diameter and a 17-inch diameter according to how much you are planning to cook on it at once.
- This grill uses a stainless steel material with a plastic handle. The handle will remain cool at all times, so you can touch it with no risks.
- The hinged lid will not slam shut as it is perfectly balanced. The ash area is sealed, and the grate is low enough so you can cook very comfortably.
- The height of this grill is adjustable, and you will have to purchase the right mounting system to install it on your boat.
- Unfortunately, there are not different colors to choose from, but this universal stainless-steel shade will go great with all types of backgrounds.
6. Camco Stainless Steel Portable Propane Gas Grill
Camco offers this popular grill model that can satisfy all your needs, not only when you are on the boat but also during camping times. This grill will work great for Chaparral boats as it doesn’t need any mounting system.
- The great aspect about this grill is that you receive it already assembled. So, you will not have to worry about putting it together. It is made of a resistant stainless steel material as well.
- The grilling surface is 125 sq. In. This is smaller than other similar grills, but it will accommodate small events with no problem.
- The burner is a 9000 BTU type, and its compact design makes the grill ideal of any kind of trips, on water or land.
- The igniter works only by pushing one button, and it also has a temperature gauge. Plus, the legs of this grill are extendable, which makes it even more comfortable to use.
- The grill comes with a storage bag that will resist most weather conditions as it is made of high-quality polyester material.
7. Kuuma 316 Elite Gas Grill44
Kuuma offers an excellent grill for those who like to enjoy sailing parties with their friends and family. You can use this grill on pontoon boats safely.
- The first quality you will love about this grill is the 316 sq in grilling surface. This is almost double what other grills have to offer, so you can use it for more complex events.
- The primary material used for this grill is stainless steel, while the handle will remain cool. You will clean it quickly, and you can use it on all types of boats.
- The legs will fold away if you want to use this grill on a tabletop. You don’t have to worry about any safety aspects with this grill as it doesn’t expose you at any risk.
- You don’t need any other mounting system, so you can start using this grill right away and without further investments.
8. Smoke Hollow Grill for Pontoon Boats
This Smoke Hollow grill is ideal for pontoon boats as it comes will all the design specifications needed.
- You will be impressed by the grilling surface size, which is 305 sq in. You can cook plenty of burgers or any other type of meat on this grill to entertain a party.
- This grill will work on a 1.25 in a railing pontoon boat, but it is just as efficient as a portable grill.
- The stainless steel material makes this grill very durable and reliable as well. So, if you use it according to the instructions, you might have an excellent grill for years to come.
- The design is excellent for all types of boat backgrounds as well. It will blend in perfectly and offer you a functional cooking environment.
9. Cuisinart Grill Modified for Pontoon Boat
Another perfect grill for a pontoon boat is this Cuisinart model. The model was modified to have the design needed on a pontoon boat, and it has the brackets required for such installation.
- This grill can be installed on a 1.25 in a rail pontoon boat. The brackets are made of resistant stainless steel, so you will not have to worry about corrosion or durability.
- The grilling surface is 145 sq in which is a medium size for such a grill. You can use it for spending a pleasant family time while you are sailing or have a fresh meal as you go fishing.
- The design of this grill is very modern and functional as well. The red color of the lid gives it an attractive look, and it blends in perfectly with any type of boat background.
- If you have any problems with this grill, you shouldn’t hesitate to contact customer support. It is effortless to install, and you will not need any extra tools either.
10. Bunker up fishin Adjustable Boat Grill
The last but definitely not the least grill you will not regret investing it is this pontoon boat product.
- You will love the fact that you can adjust this grill in any direction you want. It goes for a complete 360 degrees angle range, and you can set it higher or lower as well.
- The material of this grill is stainless steel, so it will last you for many years to come. It is also corrosion-free.
- You can attach it to the rail by using the bracket, or you can use it on a tabletop by removing the bracket.
- Along with this product, you receive an electric start as well as propane attachment, adjustable mount, and thermostat. So, you will be able to use it right away without having any trouble installing it.
- The grilling surface is 198 sq in. This is a generous surface for all types of events.
There are many reasons why we chose the Magma Newport II grill (A10-918-2GS) as the best option for your sailing adventures.
- You can use it on both pontoon boats and Chaparral boats as long as you get the right mounting system. Magma offers all the mounting systems you might need at budget-friendly prices, which is very convenient.
- It has a beautiful design and an overall stylish look. So, if you want to impress your friends with more than a tasty barbecue, this grill is a significant investment.
- This product is made in the USA, and it follows the highest safety standards in the industry. At the same time, it is very efficient as well.
- You will like the fact that you don't have to open the lid to check on your barbecue. You can look through the window of the grill and decide when it is time to enjoy your meal.
Using a boat grill will enrich your sailing and fishing experience. By choosing one of the grills above, you can be sure that you will not regret it. They are all of the great quality and extremely durable.
Make sure to choose the grill that will work best for the type of boat you have, and it has the size that allows you to treat all your guests!
- “Grill Safety for the Long Weekend – Southern Boating”. Accessed March 16, 2020. Link.
- “7 Major Advantages of a Pontoon Boat | BetterBoat Pontoon Blog”. Accessed March 16, 2020. Link.