A backcountry backpack is a must for every snowboard or ski backcountry trip and offers space for all your safety gear and equipment in one compact package. Backpacks snowboarding offers various advantages over conventional hiking or outdoor backpacks.
Our top pick for the best backpack for snowboarding is the Unigear Ski Boot Bag. Its 50L capacity is enough to store your helmets, boots, clothing, goggles, and other essential gear. The padded back panel with an adjustable system makes it comfortable to carry.
The best backpack for snowboarding usually has a separate compartment for your avalanche equipment. It offers easy access in the event of an avalanche.
Table of Contents
- What Size Snowboarding Backpack Do I Need?
- Do you Wear a Backpack While Snowboarding?
- What do you Put in a Snowboarding Backpack?
- What to Look for?
- Best Backpack for Snowboarding
- 1. Zipline World Cup Ski Bag Backpack
- 2. Unigear Ski Boot Bag
- 3. CREPRO Ski Boot Bag
- 4. Element Equipment Ultimate Boot Bag Backpack
- 5. Sukoa Sports Ski Boot Bag Backpack
- 6. Dakine Poacher 22L Backpack
- 7. The North Face Surge Backpack
- 8. Dakine Mission 25L Backpack
- 9. Windhorn Brimhall Ski Boot Bag
- 10. PAPAZAU Ski Boot Bag
- Key References
What Size Snowboarding Backpack Do I Need?
Snowboarding backpacks range from minimalist options with a bit more space than your avalanche safety gear to much larger backpacks for multi-day adventures. The length of your backcountry trip and the amount of gear you want to bring will determine the size of your snowboarding backpack. Backpack volume is generally measured in liters (L), and the following guidelines apply:
- 10 to 20 Liters – lift-served backcountry, cat or heli-accessed riding.
- 20 to 35 Liters – Longer day trips.
- 35 to 55 Liters – Overnight winter camping trips and multi-day hut tours.
- 60 to 70 Liters – Longer mountaineering tours that require cooking equipment, tent, and additional technical equipment.
Do you Wear a Backpack While Snowboarding?
Wearing a snowboarding backpack is an absolute necessity in any ski area.
- Most backpacks for snowboarding have features like ice axe leach, avalanche probe spots, and plenty of space for extra safety items.
- One of the most helpful features of a backpack is the snowboard or ski risers.
- Nothing makes a hiking trip more difficult than trying to carry all your gear with you.
- Carrying your gear in your backpack keeps it out of the way so you can move your arms and legs freely; all you have to do is keep an eye out for traversing.
What do you Put in a Snowboarding Backpack?
What to Look for?
Your backpack should be comfortable enough that you can carry it all day with no worries.
- So always consider the length of the backpack and how it fits your upper body.
- Try to test your backpack by loading the compartments with weight and adjusting it to your body with all the waist belts and straps to ensure that it is suitable for its purpose.
An avalanche airbag is designed to keep snowboarders close to the snow’s surface if an avalanche occurs.
- If you are caught in an avalanche, inflating an avalanche airbag increases your volume, making it possible to stay as high as possible in the snow cover.
- It has been shown that correctly deployed, and worn airbags increase your chances of survival in an avalanche.
- However, always remember that wearing an airbag doesn’t guarantee survival.
If you are riding in the countryside, finding a backpack with Avalung gear can save your life. A safety kit, an Avalung, will help you breathe in an avalanche by drawing oxygen from the surrounding snow cover while exhaling carbon dioxide from your face to increase the time before suffocation.
Best Backpack for Snowboarding
Here are the top 10 best backpacks for snowboarding on the market today:
1. Zipline World Cup Ski Bag Backpack
The Zipline World Cup Ski Bag Backpack is the ultimate in features and storage. It features multiple compartments to keep your snowboarding essentials organized.
- The spacious main compartment can accommodate all your extra pants and jackets.
- It also features a tuck-away mesh flap that can hold your helmet.
- The padded anatomical sternum and shoulder strap offer maximum support, so you can easily lug all your gear.
- With a front organizer pocket, tablet, and laptop sleeve, the Zipline World Cup Ski Bag Backpack is perfect for your entire snowboard or ski trip.
- It is available in many vibrant colors to suit your preference.
2. Unigear Ski Boot Bag
If you have a lot of gear to transport and store, the Unigears Ski Boot Bag will get the job done.
- With a 50L capacity, this backpack for snowboarding is spacious enough to store your helmets, boots, clothing, goggles, and other essential gear.
- Three compartments and some pockets will help you stay organized.
- The external adjustable webbing makes it easy to attach snowboard and skis.
- The exterior is made from a combination of 1050D nylon and tarpaulin, making it durable and waterproof.
- The Unigears Ski Boot Bag features a thoughtful design that will make the prospect of getting your snowboarding gear to the slopes as stress-free and simple as possible.
3. CREPRO Ski Boot Bag
The CREPRO Ski Boot Bag is crafted from high-quality water-resistant polyester that makes it durable and lightweight.
- It features reflective piping on the carrying handles and side that lets you be easily found when dusk creeps in, or slopes get foggy.
- The ventilated side boot pockets ensure the boot leaks all the snow, keeping it air fresh and clean.
- This best snowboard carry backpack comes with six different pockets to keep your gear organized.
- The large main compartment can hold your goggles, helmet, and jacket, while the two pockets on the side can hold your boots.
- The large zipper pocket is perfect for your gloves, while the 3 zipper pockets can hold other accessories.
4. Element Equipment Ultimate Boot Bag Backpack
Made from NanoWeave Ripstop 600D Oxford, the Element Equipment Ultimate Boot Bag Backpack is durable and will keep all your gear protected.
- The reinforced construction with a padded bottom, lined interior, and double stitching not only keeps the backpack’s shape but also makes it super tough.
- This best backpack for ski lifts features a fully padded back panel and shoulder straps that make it comfortable to lug around.
- This backpack can hold a pair of a snowboard or ski boots as well as a helmet, goggles, gloves, clothes, and other essential gear.
- When not carrying ski boots, the Element Equipment Ultimate Boot Bag Backpack can be collapsed quickly and stuffed in a small snowboard locker.
5. Sukoa Sports Ski Boot Bag Backpack
The Sukoa Sports Ski Boot Bag Backpack features three form-fitting compartments that allow you to minimize your interior space.
- The backpack allows for a balanced posture when worn thanks to the vertical ergonomic design.
- The snowboard and skiing boot compartment is lined with a waterproof coating to ensure safety and longevity.
- Additionally, the double reinforced ski boot pocket retains its shape, ensuring your boots won’t dig into the back.
- The strong weather-resistant zippers allow you to easily grip even when wearing gloves.
- These best ski backpacks come with a side strap that offers extra storage space for your gloves, shorts, and jacket.
- The Sukoa Sports Ski Boot Bag Backpack comes with two reinforced carrying straps that make it easy to carry your gear.
6. Dakine Poacher 22L Backpack
The Dakine Poacher 22L Backpack is made from 840D nylon ripstop with a water-resistant finish that makes it sturdy.
- This Dakine backpack offers enough space for your probe, shovel, skins, and an extra layer.
- A low-profile and contoured fit makes it comfortable to carry around on the slope.
- The Dakine snowboard backpack features an insulated sleeve in the shoulder strap that is perfect for your hydration setup.
- The back panel entry allows for easy access to your gear.
- The 22L capacity of the Dakine Poacher 22L Backpack offers you enough space to stow your layers without adding unnecessary weight to your load.
7. The North Face Surge Backpack
The North Face Surge Backpack features a tech-inspired design that allows you to organize your gear and simplify your life on the slope.
- The dedicated, fleece-lined laptop compartment allows for a protected backcountry friendly expedition.
- It features a breathable lumbar panel and a padded mesh back panel for ventilated and comfortable support.
- The front compartment has an additional tablet sleeve and zip pockets to keep your gear organized.
- Also, an external fleece-lined pocket can store your small items.
- The North Face Surge Backpack has a removable waist belt for a personalized fit and a top handle for easy grabbing.
8. Dakine Mission 25L Backpack
The Dakine Mission 25L Backpack was initially developed for winter sports, but it’s now super versatile after some updates.
- The stylish pack, has a snowboard/skateboard carrying system and, at the same time, allows you to carry your school supplies as it fits in an A4 folder easily.
- Hence, the Dakine Mission Backpack is a great snowboard backpack with fully adjustable waist and chest straps and the ideal companion for school or college.
- A padded laptop compartment offers space for a 15-inch laptop, and the handy storage pockets offer enough space for small items.
- The Dakine MISSION PACK is a super all-rounder.
9. Windhorn Brimhall Ski Boot Bag
Crafted from a 420D nylon water-resistant outer material and bottom, the Windhorn Brimhall Ski Boot Bag can handle an epic snow day.
- The inner liner is made from water-resistant 210D polyester to keep your gear as dry as possible.
- The snowboard compartment has vented ports that drain water and offer airflow to eliminate the after-skiing smell.
- This backpack for snowboarding comes with 5 internal storage pockets and one exterior pocket for small items.
- The pockets are spacious enough for your ski gloves, socks, ski helmets, and other essentials.
- The Windhorn Brimhall Ski Boot Bag has three carrying options to suit your preference.
10. PAPAZAU Ski Boot Bag
The PAPAZAU Ski Boot Bag is made of high-quality polyester ripstop that makes it waterproof and durable.
- The waterproof fabric will keep your gear as dry as possible.
- This versatile backpack features a zippered side pocket that can hold your snowboard boots.
- The large main compartment is perfect for goggles, helmets, gloves, clothes, and other gear.
- It features a padded back panel, carrying handle, and shoulder straps, making it easy to carry around on the slope.
- The PAPAZAU Ski Boot Bag comes with reflective stripes to keep you safe at night.
Our top recommendation for the best backpack for snowboarding is the Unigear Ski Boot Bag. This 50L capacity backpack is enough to store your helmets, boots, clothing, goggles, and other essential gear. The padded back panel with an adjustable system makes it comfortable to carry.
Shopping for the best backpack for snowboarding is easier than it looks with all the options available. Just follow the instructions in our guide, and you’ll find the perfect backpack.
- “American Alpine Institute – Climbing Blog: The Avalung”. Accessed November 09, 2020. Link.
- “Do avalanche airbags lead to riskier choices among backcountry and out-of-bounds skiers? – ScienceDirect”. Accessed November 09, 2020. Link.