While one of the best ways to have an outdoor adventure, have a good time with loved ones, and enjoy a weekend is RV camping, it might be tasking if you don’t have the best RV toilet treatment.
Our top pick for the best RV toilet treatment is the Black Diamond GET SERIOUS RV Toilet Treatment. It comes in a large one-gallon bottle, and it only takes about 8 ounces a month to keep the RV toilet in good condition.
You’ll need it if you are looking to digest waste materials or eliminate odor in your RV toilet. In this guide, we are answering some questions and featuring things to look for when shopping for an RV toilet treatment.
Table of Contents
- What are the Common Problems with the RV Toilet?
- What Chemicals are Used in RV Toilets?
- What to Look for?
- Top 6 Best RV Toilet Treatment
- Key References
What are the Common Problems with the RV Toilet?
A common RV toilet problem is blackwater tank clogs and backups.
- It is mostly caused by too much tissue paper or too little water and human waste.
- Leaving the black water drain pipe always open is another common problem. This is especially true for those recreational vehicles hooked up to a sewer connection.
- Doing this will allow all the liquid waste to drain, leading to a sludgy and sticky clog in your sewer drain or RV toilet.
What Chemicals are Used in RV Toilets?
Most of the popular RV toilet treatments on the market rely on two things: bacteria and enzymes.
- Bacteria break down waste solids and are very effective at reducing unpleasant odor. The best RV toilet treatment use chemicals to convert aerobic bacteria to anaerobic bacteria that utilize oxygen to digest waste solid and so don’t produce hydrogen sulfide gas.
- Enzymes, on the other hand, are biological molecules that accelerate the rate of all chemical reactions that occur within the cells. This means enzymes are quite useful in breaking down waste solids. What they don’t do, however, is odor control.
What to Look for?
Choosing the right RV toilet treatment plays a vital role in keeping the excellent health and condition of your toilet and septic system. Here are things you should consider when shopping for the best RV toilet treatment.
RV toilet treatments are available in two (2) models – the liquid form and the tablet form.
- Although they function similarly, they vary as regards convenience of use.
- Some recreational vehicle owners prefer the tablet form just because they need not do any measurement when deodorizing the septic and toilet.
- They simply need to toss it in their toilet, allow it to dissolve before flushing the bowl.
- The enzymes will break down the sludge and waste materials, keeping your RV toilet free from clogs.
- On the other hand, some RV owners prefer the liquid form because they don’t have to wait for the treatment to dissolve.
2) Eco-Friendliness and Biodegradability
When shopping for the best RV toilet treatment, it is essential to look for one that doesn’t harm the environment. Opt for an option that is free from formaldehyde-releasing ingredients. Make sure the product is also biodegradable – that means it will break down or disintegrate naturally with no chemical aids.
3) What they Digest
Another thing you need to consider is its digesting ability (i.e., the kind of wastewater materials it can digest). The best RV toilet treatment can absorb solid wastes and also the toughest tissues on the market.
4) Deodorizing Power
One reason anyone would want to buy an RV toilet treatment is to ensure the bad odor of your septic system does not stink you out of your RV.
- Many RV toilets treatments are fragrance-free, while others have scents that make the RV smell nice.
- The more mineral or natural nitrate-based treatments will more likely up-cycle the bad smell into a scentless gas.
- According to a public health publication, a treatment that is bacteria or enzyme-based is the best option.
Top 6 Best RV Toilet Treatment
Here are the top 6 best RV toilet treatment options on the market today:
1. Green Gobbler Holding Tank Deodorizer/Treatment
The Green Gobbler Holding Tank Deodorizer and Treatment contain water-soluble pods that powerfully work using bacteria enzyme technology.
- This RV toilet treatment uses potent bacteria technology to eliminate drain odors and remove back-ups.
- The bacteria enzymes dissolve organic matter, tissue papers, oil, grease, and sludge quickly.
- This concentrated formula is non-caustic, non-toxic, non-acidic, and 100 percent biodegradable, making it safer than formaldehyde and other harmful preservatives.
- This treatment destroys odors at its source, leaving a pleasant scent in its wake.
- We love the Green Gobbler Holding Tank Deodorizer and Treatment because it is convenient, user-friendly, and uses a one-flush action.
- So you can always expect this RV toilet treatment to break down odors and waste naturally and quickly.
2. Black Diamond GET SERIOUS RV Toilet Treatment
Black Diamond GET SERIOUS RV Toilet Treatment is a blend of bio-renewable multi-strain bacteria spores that will produce enzymes continually that Digest and break down toilet papers, greases, fats, and other food waste.
- This bacterial spores will help keep your septic system fresh and running smoothly, thus minimizing the risk of solids forming.
- This concentrated blend of surfactants and bacteria destroys odors rather than masking them.
- It is specially formulated to eliminate odors and break down waste from your holding tank.
- Beyond that, this formula stays active and provides great residual benefits in between pump-outs, prolonging the need to pump very often.
- This treatment is free from non-staining dye and formaldehyde, and it’s effective in treating black and grey water tanks.
3. Thetford Campa-Chem Natural Liquid Holding Tank Deodorant
The Thetford Campa-Chem Holding Tank Deodorant is a strong deodorant that is very effective in eliminating odors in an instant.
- It is a versatile and powerful product as it suits RVs and boats.
- Not only will it remove all accumulated odors in your holding tank, but it will also leave a lasting, fresh scent.
- This treatment can be used in various applications, including freshwater flush toilets, re-circulating toilets, and portable toilets.
- Thetford Campa-Chem Holding Tank Deodorant is also effective in liquefying wastes and breaking down tissues at a fast pace.
- As this formula contains potent detergents, RV owners can count on its ability to clean tank walls and drain lines.
- This treatment is 100% biodegradable, which works in regulating and controlling odor continuously regardless of the weather.
- We also like that this treatment doesn’t cause messy spills as it comes in pre-measured bottles.
4. Walex TOI-91799 Holding Tank Deodorizer
If you are looking for a formaldehyde-free treatment for an RV toilet, then Walex TOI-91799 Holding Tank Deodorizer is a good choice.
- It comes in water-soluble packets that help in controlling odors, breaking down wastes, as well as lubricating valves and seals.
- It dissolves quickly, thus treating the holding tank fast.
- Since each packet is portion-controlled, you can rest assured it is easy to use.
- All you need to do is to drop a packet without having to worry about spills.
- The easy to use and convenient zipper bag makes it easy to store.
- This treatment boasts of its ability to prevent foul and unwanted odors.
- The Walex TOI-91799 Holding Tank Deodorizer is biodegradable and formaldehyde-free, making it safe to use.
5. Valterra Odorless Holding Tank Treatment
The Valterra Odorless Holding Tank Treatment is reliable and effective as a waste digester and odor eliminator as it helps to break down blockages, waste solids, tissue papers, and sludge.
- It uses an ultra-modern biological formula, which features the exclusive odor control technology of the brand.
- This odor control technology makes it effective in delivering excellent performance in regards to eliminating odor.
- It is very economical as each formula for both your black and gray tanks just need about two ounces per treatment.
- It’s powerful in keeping your RV toilet clean and removing odor from them because it combines bacteria and enzymes.
- Being chemical-free, you can rest assured you won’t be causing harm to yourself or the environment.
- You can safely use this treatment in different locations, including septic systems, RV dump stations, and RV parks.
- The Valterra Odorless Holding Tank Treatment boasts of a fresh scent, and it is friendly for all various septic tanks.
6. CARAVAN “Full-timer’s” RV Holding Tank Treatment
The CARAVAN “Full-timer’s” RV Holding Tank Treatment is one of the best RV toilet treatments for breaking down waste as it is reliable and eco-friendly.
- Not only is this treatment eco-friendly, but it is also effective in eliminating odors in our RV toilets.
- This powerful formula is guaranteed to clear tank gauges and clogs easily and fast.
- It is also very convenient to use, all you need to do is pour it into your toilet before flushing.
- This RV toilet treatment also has fast-acting microorganisms, which can multiply to create more enzymes that will eliminate sewer odor and break down the waste.
- With the fast-acting microorganism, you can rest assured that the toilet papers, blockages, sludge, and human waste will be eliminated in a short time.
- The CARAVAN “Full-timer’s” RV Holding Tank Treatment is safe for pets, waterways, septic tanks, people, and the environment.
Our top recommendation for the best RV toilet treatment is the Black Diamond GET SERIOUS RV Toilet Treatment. It is environment-friendly, doesn't contain harmful chemicals, and is septic-safe.
The best RV toilet treatment is an essential product for your RV septic system and sanitation. It can unclog blockages and digest waste solids as well as eliminate odors. Hopefully, the information in this guide will help you decide which RV toilet treatment is best for you.
- “Formaldehyde | Uses, Benefits, and Chemical Safety Facts”. Accessed March 27, 2020. Link.
- “RV Park Guidance – PDF” – DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES DIVISION OF PUBLIC HEALTH. Accessed March 27, 2020. Link.