RV campers need an efficient and safe way to move gray and black water from on-board storage tanks to the campsite dump station without breaking camp. The best portable RV septic tank can solve this problem.
Our top pick for the best RV portable septic tanks is the Barker 25 Gallon 4-Wheeler Tote Tank. With a 25 gallons capacity, this unit is a perfect option for larger recreational vehicles and RV travelers who want to drain small black water and small gray water tank simultaneously.
You can simply connect it to one of the filled tanks, safely remove the required volume of black or gray water, and transport it yourself. Finding the right option for your RV can be challenging.
This guide features 6 of the best portable RV septic tanks and the features that make this septic tank stand out from the competition.
Table of Contents
- Best RV Portable Septic Tanks – Comparison Table
- What are the Common RV Septic Tank Issues?
- Can We Rent Septic Tank for RV?
- How to Empty Portable Waste Tank and Where?
- What to Look for?
- Best RV Portable Septic Tanks
- Key References
Best RV Portable Septic Tanks – Comparison Table
What are the Common RV Septic Tank Issues?
One challenge to RV living is managing your gray and black water tanks.
- This can be a bigger problem if you’re camping in a State or Federal Park for longer than your septic tank can handle.
- And then sometimes when you come home with gallons of waste in your septic tanks and there is no way to throw it away before you get home.
- There are portable RV septic tanks, which are a great way to empty your gray and black water tanks without having to move your RV.
Can We Rent Septic Tank for RV?
Yes, there are holding tank services that rent out a variety of water holding tanks for different purposes and locations. There are many rental companies near your city to offer rentals on used portable rv waste tanks. Just search for them.
How to Empty Portable Waste Tank and Where?
Emptying the black tank from your RV will ensure your vehicle is waste-free. Luckily, it is not that difficult to do. The first thing to do is tow your RV to a dump station. Your objective is to bring the sewage outlet closer to the landfill. Wear your disposable gloves and check the septic tank’s valve to make sure it is fully closed.
The next thing you need to do is connect your RV’s sewer pipe to the correct outlet. Be sure to connect it to the specially designed sewage tank for black water. Additionally, the pipe must be secured with an additional hose clamp.
The next step is to take the other end and then use a pipe elbow as a way of connecting to the discharge. This step facilitates the connection of the pipes, minimizing or avoiding the risk of spills. Release the tank’s valve after tightening everything.
As you do this, you will hear the waste spill. Keep it flowing until there is no more sound from doing this. The next step is to flush the toilet several times to make sure all the wastes have been cleaned. Then rinse the gray water tank.
Once you’re done, you can fill both water tanks (gray and black) with water and then rinse them again in case you want to rinse them thoroughly. The next step is to close the gray and black water drain valves. Next, you need to reconnect the plumbing to your RV. Connect the dump hose to the storage area. Move your RV out of the area and use chemicals or enzymes designed to treat the septic tank.
What to Look for?
In the portable septic tank for RV, you must consider the following factors:
- Size of the tank.
- Ease of transportation
- Extra features and accessories.
- Ease of use
Best RV Portable Septic Tanks
Here are top 6 best RV portable septic tanks on the market today:
1. Camco 39000 Rhino Portable RV Waste Tank
The Camco 39000 Rhino Portable RV Waste Tank is made from very durable high-density polyethylene that has been blow-molded into a 15-gallon tank.
- This type of polyethylene, also known as HDPE, is valued for outdoor use in a wide variety of products, such as in portable wastewater tanks for RVs and even in items such as security fence pickets.
- The ready to use kit makes it easy for you to move the waste from your RV’s sewage tank to the nearby RV waste disposal station.
- This Camco Rhino portable waste tank includes a hose and all accessories for cleaning, maintaining, and storing the portable waste water tank in the camper.
- Also, it has large, sturdy wheels with bearings for smooth movement.
- There is also a detachable tow adapter made of heavy-duty steel that you can use to move it like a luggage cart or pull it behind a UTV.
- If you’re looking for the perfect combination of quality materials and meticulous engineering, the Camco Rhino 39000 is the best RV portable septic tank for the money.
- Heavy-duty wheels
- Easy to maneuver and use.
- Easy to clean
- Comes with complete ready to use kit.
- 15 gallons seems a bit small for the price.
2. Tote-N-Stor 25608 Portable Waste Tank
Tote-N-Stor may not be a household name, but it still gives the RV 25608 25 Gallon Portable Waste Tank a ton of construction and high-quality materials.
- The capacity itself makes it an excellent choice for slightly larger RVs with 25-gallon gray or black water tanks.
- This zippered sewer bag also comes with a 36″ long, 3” diameter, 3″ collapsible drain hose, plus a hose clamp and towing bracket.
- The plastic and rubber wheels are textured to improve traction, although they are a bit small for a 25-gallon tank and tend to cut or dig in soft ground.
- Also, the Tote-N-Stor 25608 has a handy storage compartment for all necessary accessories.
- This does not only make this portable RV septic tank easy to take with you on the road, but you can be sure you’ll have it all together in the spring if you take your recreational vehicle out of storage.
- If you’re on a budget but still need an RV waste tank, the Tote-N-Stor 25608 is the best RV portable septic tank at an affordable price.
- Reasonably priced
- Durable design
- Heavy-duty construction
- Assembled entirely with tow bracket.
- The plastic rubber wheels are cheaply made.
3. Barker 16 Gallon 4-Wheeler Tote Tank
If you have a small family and often camp with your RV, you’ll need a septic tank like this. The portable RV tank is also reliable for its sturdy construction.
- The Barker portable waste tank is made of blow-molded polyethylene materials, which make it one of the sturdiest options out there.
- For easy portability, it has large, sturdy wheels that make it truly portable.
- Also, the unit has durable steel brackets with a zinc coating for longer life.
- The hose of this septic tank makes cleaning easy and is suitable for many uses and locations.
- The Barker 16 Gallon 4-Wheeler Tote Tank comes with a 5ft sewer hose and a trailer bracket.
- This makes it the complete sewage tank you need for your motorhome.
- Lightweight and portable
- Made of high-strength polyethylene.
- Not prone to leaks.
- With sturdy wheels for easy and quick transport.
- Less capacity for large groups.
4. Barker 4-Wheeler Tote Tank
The Barker 4-Wheeler Tote Tank is designed to hold up to 25 gallons of black water.
- This portable septic tank for RV makes it a good option for RV travelers who want to drain small black water and small gray water tank simultaneously.
- It was designed as a portable “towed to the ground” RV septic tank that eliminates the need to raise or lower a tank that could weigh over 300 pounds when full.
- The four wheels comprise two heavy-duty 10″ pneumatic wheels at the rear and a pair of 6” pneumatic wheels at the front.
- This RV waste holding tanks contain one pair of 3-inch bayonet fittings, one 3/4 inch fitting, one 5 foot sewer hose, two steel hose clamps, two bayonet hose adapters, one robust tow handle, and fuel gauge.
- If you have a large black or gray water tank and need a way to empty your wastewater without lifting or lowering a heavy object, the Barker 4-Wheeler Tote Tank is one of the best RV portable waste tanks on the market.
- Easy to take on RV trips.
- Comes with a flushing hose and pull handle.
- Easy to tow or pull.
- Comes assembled, so can be immediately used.
- The sewer hose is of low-quality.
5. Thetford SmartTote2 40505 Portable RV Waste Tank
The Thetford SmartTote2 40505 Portable RV Waste Tank is robustly designed.
- It’s made of heavy-duty polypropylene and has a 12-gallon capacity, making it useful for small RV sewage tanks.
- This best RV portable waste holding tank has a built-in handle and a pair of sturdy rubber wheels.
- You can also configure it with an optional tow strap that allows you to hook it up to an RV hitch for manual transport to the dumping station.
- This unit has an AutoStop level indicator to prevent overflows.
- This is ideal if you are filling the tank straight from your gray or black water tanks.
- It was also designed with a large built-in vent for very efficient air exchange.
- This is especially useful if you are in an RV park that may have a queue to use the dump tanks.
- If you have a relatively small RV sewer tank of 12 gallons or less, the Thetford SmartTote2 40505 is one of the best 2-wheeled RV septic tanks out there.
- Has an innovative design.
- Durable enough to last many years.
- Tow strap included
- Easy to pull and fill.
- Lacks auto shop shut-off function.
6. Thetford SmartTote 2 LX 40517 Portable RV Waste Tank
The Thetford SmartTote 2LX 40517 is an 18-gallon, portable RV septic tank that holds your sewage in one convenient box.
- It is made of polypropylene and has four durable rubber wheels built into it.
- The front wheels are attached to the retractable handle, which can be easily attached to most standard towbars.
- The mouth and air outlets are large.
- This not only enables quick flushing at the unloading station but also makes it easier to clean and disinfect the tank before storage.
- This portable sewer tank comes with an AutoStop level indicator.
- There is also a “PermaStore” compartment that contains the 900 elbows, heavy-duty hose, and the cap.
- If your RV has gray water or the black water tank is larger than 18 gallons, the Thetford SmartTote 2 40517 RV Waste Tank is one of the best RV portable waste tanks on the market.
- Works with all kinds of RV.
- Quick to empty
- A retractable hose is included.
- Small hard wheels
Our top recommendation for the best RV portable septic tanks is the Barker 25 Gallon 4-Wheeler Tote Tank.
- It features a 25 gallons capacity tank, and it is an ideal choice for larger RVs and RV travelers who want to drain small black water and small gray water tank simultaneously.
- If you have a large black or gray water tank and need a way to empty your wastewater without lifting or lowering a heavy object, this septic tank is your best option.
Waste management is one of the few uncomfortable parts of an RV camping. Once you get used to it, you will find that it is easy to do, and it doesn’t take too much time. All you need is the right equipment.
Therefore, what is needed is a reliable RV portable septic tank. We hope this guide has helped you choose the best RV portable septic tank for your own needs.
- “Recreational Vehicle Waste Disposable Stations at Highway Rest Areas” – WA.gov. Accessed August 19, 2020. Link.
- “Above and Below: Understanding the RV Waste System | Trailer Life”. Accessed August 19, 2020. Link.