Illinois and Michigan Canal
The Illinois and Michigan Canal National Heritage Corridor was completed in 1848 connected the Great Lakes to the Mississippi River watershed along a longstanding Indian portage route.
The 97-mile canal extended from the Chicago River near Lake Michigan to the Illinois River at Peru, Illinois. It rapidly transformed Chicago from a small settlement to a critical transportation hub between the East and the developing Midwest.
The towpath trail along the canal is a State park that runs through a rural and wooded landscape linking a number of towns laid out by the original canal commission.
National Park Service
Plane – Both of Chicago’s major airports (O’Hare and Midway) are served by numerous airlines.
Car – Five interstates (39, 55, 80, 355, and 294) run through or bisect the Corridor.
Public Transportation – Pace Suburban Bus Service (847) 364-7223 operates between Midway Airport and Joliet, and the Chicago metropolitan region. METRA (Metropolitan Rail) (312) 322-6777 operates two lines between Chicago and Joliet: the Heritage Corridor and the Rock Island. Amtrak (1-800-USA-RAIL) has stops in Chicago (Union Station), Summit and Joliet.
201 W. Tenth St., #1-SE
- “I & M Canal National Heritage Area – 100 miles filled with Simple Pleasures and National Treasures”. Accessed May 17, 2020. Link.
Near By Parks
- Warren Dunes State Park On Lake Michigan
- Warren Woods State Park
- Ice Age National Scenic Trail
- Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore
- Ronald Reagan Boyhood Home Preservation Foundation
- Midewin National Tallgrass Prairie
Near By Campgrounds
- Adeline Jay Geo Karis Illinois Beach State Park
- Castle Rock State Park
- Chain O Lakes State Park
- Franklin Creek State Natural Area
- Goose Lake Prairie State Natural Area
- Illini State Park
- Johnson Sauk Trail State Recreation Area
- Kankakee River State Park
- Kankakee South KOA
- Lowden State Park
- Marshall State Fish And Wildlife Area
- Moraine Hills State Park
- Moraine View State Recreation Area
- Oconnells Yogi Bear Jellystone Park Camp Resort
- Pine Country
- Prophetstown State Park
- Rock Cut State Park
- Shabbona Lake State Park
- Starved Rock State Park
- White Pines Forest State Park
- William W. Powers State Recreation Area
- Indiana Beach Yogi
- Indiana Dunes
- Lakeside Rv Resort
- Nascar Rv Resort At Indiana Beach
- Potato Creek
- South Bend Granger KOA
- Coloma St. Joseph KOA
- Bear Cave
- Big Foot Beach State Park
- Kettle Moraine Sf Southern Unit
- Richard Bong State Recreation Area