Camping cannot be fun without entertainment. The best portable camping radio has a lightweight and compact design so you can take it anywhere. They also come with excellent handles and an antenna so you can adjust the frequency range.
Our top pick for the best portable radio for camping is FosPower Solar Hand Crank Portable Radio. Aside from being a radio, it also acts as a power bank and provides light, making it the ideal portable radio for camping.
In this guide, we feature the best portable radio for camping that offer outstanding sound performance and have a wide range of AM and FM frequencies, so that you can tune in to many radio stations while camping.
Table of Contents
- Best Camping Radios – Comparison Table
- How Does Portable Radio Help in Camping?
- Features to Look for in a Portable Radio for Camping
- Best Portable Radio for Camping
- Key References
Best Camping Radios – Comparison Table
- Band: AM/FM/NOAA
- Batteries: 3 AAA
- Dimensions (inches): 6.2x2.9x2.1
- Weight: 10.9 oz
- Best Features: 2 LED sources, waterproof, loud alarm sound, and good battery capacity
- Band: AM/FM/SW/NOAA
- Batteries: 3 AAA
- Dimensions (inches): 7x4.5x3.5
- Weight: 1 lbs
- Best Features: 5 power sources, tunes to NOAA channels, USB charger & adjustable antenna
- Band: AM/FM/NOAA
- Batteries: 1 Li Ion
- Dimensions (inches): 5x2.4x1.6
- Weight: 7.2 oz
- Best Features: Sturdy design, multiple charging options, and superb LED flashlight
- Band: AM/FM
- Batteries: 4 C
- Dimensions (inches): 9.05X11.8X7.28
- Weight: 6.9 lbs
- Best Features: Stereo sound, sturdy, flexible antenna, shockproof and backlit LCD display.
- Band: AM/FM
- Batteries: 4 AA
- Dimensions (inches): 5.8X4.6X9.8
- Weight: 1.81 lbs
- Best Features: Lightweight, Compact, Good reception, and carrying handle.
- Band: AM/FM/NOAA
- Batteries: 3 AAA
- Weight: 12 oz
- Best Features: Dependable power sources, 2 light options, compact and functional.
How Does Portable Radio Help in Camping?
A) Improves Safety
If you have a portable camping radio with you, you can protect yourself from dangers, especially in bad weather. If your radio is on, you may be warned of sudden weather disturbances. Once the radio detects an National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) alert, it can send you an instant notification so you can prepare.
B) Prevents Boredom
You can get quickly get bored every time you go on a camping trip. A good way to avoid such an event is a portable radio for camping. This allows you to listen to music, which could also be a good idea if you gather around the campfire for a drink or a barbecue. In fact, the radio is the ideal source of entertainment.
Although multi-functionality largely depends on the portable radio for camping you have chosen, you can enjoy benefits like the radio with the functionality of a camping flashlight, among other features.
Features to Look for in a Portable Radio for Camping
A camping radio is considered useless, especially if it has a minimum frequency range. When choosing the best portable radio for camping, make sure it has excellent reception, even in a remote area. Otherwise, you may not be able to use the radio to listen to music or emergency notifications.
Volume is another important factor, especially if you will use your radio to listen to music. A higher volume would also mean that you can hear emergency warnings clearly. When choosing a portable radio for camping, ensure you check to see if the range is between 80 and 84 dB, which can be compared to the noise of city traffic.
The best portable radio for camping isn’t just about entertainment. It should also allow you to prepare for emergencies. When choosing a camping radio, make sure it has the Specific Warning Encoding feature that you can configure based on your specific destination. This function alerts you when there are emergency notifications.
Since camping is such a tasking activity, make sure the model you choose can withstand wear and tear. The camping radio should be equipped with waterproof functions so that you can use it outside without fear of being easily damaged.
Although not all camping radios have a screen, it is best if the radio you have selected has a small screen that indicates the frequency you are currently tuned to.
When choosing your camping radio, be sure to go for a lightweight and compact radio that you can carry easily, and that doesn’t tire you too much when you carry it.
If the brand is convinced of the quality of its products, it should always offer an extended warranty that gives you the consumer peace of mind. If you discover a defect in the portable radio for camping during the warranty period, you should be able to replace it or get your money back.
Best Portable Radio for Camping
Here are the top 6 best portable radio for camping available on the market today:
1. FosPower Solar Hand Crank Portable Radio
The FosPower Solar Hand Crank Portable Radio is designed with durability in mind.
- It has a sturdy outer cover that can withstand the harshest weather.
- Additionally, the NOAA weather stations will definitely help you when it comes to preparing you for extreme weather conditions.
- This best portable AM/FM radio hass integrated power bank provides enough power to any of your mobile devices while camping.
- The crank and solar panel are regenerative, ensuring you have enough power when you need it.
- FosPower Portable Radio comes with two light sources – a 1W LED flashlight and a LED reading light capable of lighting in an emergency situation.
- Decent battery capacity
- Two LED light source.
- Waterproof and rugged construction.
- Loud alarm sound
- Some users complained of longevity issues.
2. PPLEE Solar Hand Crank Portable Radio
The PPLEE Solar Hand Crank Portable Radio is designed with a hand power generator crank and sunlight solar panel to keep you well connected.
- This multifunctional portable radio comes with two light sources for your convenience.
- The bright flashlight can light up a wide area while the 6 LED reading lamps emit enough light to read a book in the dark.
- It has a built-in USB charging port that lets you charge your mobile devices while camping.
- The loud SOS alarm will make people notice you quickly in case of an emergency.
- The adjustable antenna can help enhance signal reception while you are camping.
- 5 sustainable power sources.
- Independent 7 band NOAA channels along with AM, FM, and SHORTWAVE.
- Convenient USB charger
- Adjustable antenna
- A bit on the expensive side for some users.
3. Tiemahun FS-088 Portable Radio
The Tiemahun FS-088 Portable Radio is another great option for camping.
- It is capable of receiving NOAA weather alerts, as well as AM and FM signals, so you will be kept up to date.
- Besides charging using the solar or crank panel, you can plug it into a mains electricity adaptor or power bank.
- With multiple charging options, you can rest assured that this portable radio won’t stop working.
- The sturdy construction and versatility of the Tiemahun FS-088 Portable Radio make it a great addition to your camping kit.
- Compact and sturdy design.
- Multiple charging options
- Bright LED flashlight
- Does not have alarm tone.
4. Sangean TB-100 Portable Rechargeable Radio
The Sangean TB-100 has all the controls that are conveniently organized and can display frequency and time on the screen.
- The sound is well balanced and ideal for music and talk.
- It has excellent selectivity and sensitivity and will amaze you with its ability to attract those distant stations.
- There are 5 presets available for each band, and Auto Search automatically searches for active stations in the entire band.
- This sangean portable radio can be set to turn off automatically after 15, 30, 45, 60, 90, or 120 minutes so you can fall asleep to music or news.
- Plus, it has a sleep alarm that lets you wake up to beep or music with a humane alarm system.
- Additionally, the radio can be powered by 6 dual rechargeable batteries, which can be charged right in the radio.
- Excellent stereo sound quality.
- Super sturdy construction
- Flexible antenna reception
- Shockproof and rain resistant.
- Backlit LCD display
- Crackling and distortion at high volume.
5. Panasonic Rf-2400D Portable Radio
The Panasonic RF – 2400D has a universal design for easy viewing and a new tuner for stable and smooth tuning.
- It works with either a battery or an AC adapter, so it can be used in the living room without any problem and can be taken outdoors if you want.
- The AFC (Automatic Frequency Control) function simplifies tuning and extends the AM radio reception range.
- In addition to the large scale of the dial, which makes frequency numbers more meaningful and accessible, there is a fluorescent pointer that allows the radio to operate in low light situations.
- It uses a carrying handle and has a large speaker.
- Compact and lightweight
- Large 10cm speaker
- Great reception
- Comes with a carrying handle.
- There is no cassette recorder or CD player installed.
6. SYIHLON Solar Hand Crank Portable Radio
The SYIHLON Solar Hand Crank Portable Radio is a pocket-sized radio that is surprisingly light and small.
- It has a 2000mAh power bank that provides up to 6 hours of radio time or 12 hours of light.
- Also, it can power any of the devices on your camping trip. The NOAA weather alert will let you know if any emergency warning is issued.
- Additionally, it comes with a standard analog tuning of AM, FM, and SW.
- The best pocket AM/FM radio is equipped with a 1W reading lamp and 3W integrated flashlights that can be helpful for camping.
- Also, it comes with a necessary compass and an SOS alarm function for your safety.
- The SYIHLON Solar Hand Crank Portable Radio is not only designed to entertain on your camping trips but also to receive emergency alerts for different life-threatening weather events.
- Long-lasting and dependable power sources.
- Two various light sources.
- Small and light
- Easy to use and functional.
- Buttons are tiny and may be challenging.
Our top suggestion for the best portable radio for camping is FosPower Solar Hand Crank Portable Radio. Besides being a radio, it also features a power bank and built-in flashlight, making it the ideal portable radio for camping.
Regardless of how you enjoy spending time while camping, generally, music will definitely help you have more fun. With this in mind, consider choosing a high-quality portable radio for your next camping trip.
- “The Importance Of Having A NOAA Radio – EmergencyKits.com”. Accessed June 06, 2020. Link.
- “Every Home and Business Should Have a NOAA Weather Radio | FEMA.gov”. Accessed June 06, 2020. Link.