Mountain biking is one of the most fun sports there is, especially in the summer when it’s warm out! What’s better than the feeling of the wind whipping against your skin as you ride down the rocky terrain of a mountain? That’s right, nothing!
Our top pick for the best mountain biking shoes for flat pedals is the Tommaso Montagna 100 Men's Mountain Bike MTB Spin Cycling Shoe!
It features comfortable, durable, and sticky, so your feet don't slip while you're riding. They are also super versatile and allow you to use the maximum amount of power with every pedaling.
However, before you can start mountain biking, you have to choose the right sort of shoe for your pedal. Usually, beginners will opt to choose flat pedals because it’s great for those just learning how to ride and do tricks. Even some advanced riders prefer them!
There are two different types of mountain biking shoes: shoes created explicitly for flat pedals and shoes created for clipless pedals. With flat pedals, you have less of a chance of your foot slipping around.
Table of Contents
- What are flat pedal shoes?
- What to look for?
- Best Mountain Biking Shoes for Flat Pedals
- 1. Venzo Mountain Men’s Bike Bicycle Cycling Shoes
- 2. SHIMANO SH-MT701 Bicycle Shoes
- 3. Tommaso Montagna 100 Men’s Mountain Bike MTB Spin Cycling Shoe Compatible with SPD Cleats
- 4. Giro Riddance Cycling Shoes
- 5. Giro Code VR70 Men’s Cycling Shoes
- 6. Five Ten Men’s Freerider MTB Bike Shoes
- 7. Giro Rumble VR Men’s Mountain Cycling Shoes
- 8. Five Ten Men’s Kestrel Lace Mountain Bike Shoes
- 9. Leatt DBX 2.0 Flat Men’s MTB Cycling Shoes
- 10. O’Neal Pinned Flat Pedal Shoe Black
- Key References
What are flat pedal shoes?
Flat pedal shoes are created for pedals without clips. These allow riders to not have to have the extra effort of clipping shoes in and out of their pedals, which can be a bit of a nuisance. They also let riders have a bit more freedom while riding.
What to look for?
There are a few essential things to look for when purchasing a pair of flat pedal shoes.
First and foremost is comfort. There’s no point in purchasing a nice pair of biking shoes if they’re not comfortable. You want to be able to wear them and not feel any pain from them. Shoes should always be comfortable, especially when doing something as hard on your feet as mountain biking.
Next is stickiness. All flat pedal shoes have a certain amount of stickiness from the rubber on their sole. This allows them to mostly stick to the pedal so that the rider isn’t slipping and sliding while trying to pedal. If your flat pedal shoes slide on the pedal, then they aren’t doing their job.
Foot protection is also essential. You don’t want a pair of shoes that make you prone to foot injuries. An excellent flat pedal shoe should have both toe and heel protection, which will help immensely when you’re riding on rocky terrain and accidentally bump your shoe off something.
The next thing to worry about is sole flexibility. The more flexible the sole, the more you’ll be able to absorb the impact of bounces you endure while riding. However, you want the shoe to be flexible yet durable at the same time.
Last but not least is the weight. The lighter the shoe, the easier it is to pedal. You won’t feel like you’re lugging an extra 10 pounds around with every pedal if the shoe is light! Lighter shoes are also more comfortable to put on and take off.
F) Other Features
There are a few shoe features to consider when purchasing a pair of flat pedal shoes for mountain biking as well.
For instance, do you want laces, or do you want velcro straps? With laces and velcro straps, you can adjust the overall fit of your shoe. However, laces can quickly come undone while biking if they’re not tied perfectly.
You also might want to consider the material that the shoe is made from. Is it breathable? Does it lessen odors? Suede shoes, in particular, might also take a bit longer to dry after being out in the water and also aren’t as weather-resistant. Shoes with perforation typically perform best.
These are all factors and features to consider when purchasing your new flat pedal shoes.
Best Mountain Biking Shoes for Flat Pedals
Here are the top 10 best mountain biking shoes for flat pedals on the market today:
1. Venzo Mountain Men’s Bike Bicycle Cycling Shoes
The Venzo Mountain Men’s Bike Cycling Shoe is a shoe created for mountain biking and other outdoor activities.
- This best mtb shoes for flat pedals is comfortable but still allows high performance while pedaling.
- The Venzo Mountain Men’s Shoe has sturdy straps with modern shoe technology, which allows you to adjust the overall fitting to your foot.
- The bottom of the shoe is heat-insulated, so you can ride in all types of weather.
- This shoe is targeted towards those who wish to partake in mountain biking, spin class, off-roading, and commuting.
- The shoe is made from a raw material that allows less odor than other shoes.
- Velcro straps
- Lightweight shoes
- Heat-insulated bottoms
- Less odor
- Run wide for some users.
- Poor water protection
2. SHIMANO SH-MT701 Bicycle Shoes
The SHIMANO SH-MT701 Bicycle Shoe is a comfortable and versatile shoe for mountain biking that comes in black.
- This shoe has mesh siding, which allows for breathability and ventilation while riding.
- The SHIMANO SH-MT701 has a dial that allows you to adjust the shoe’s fit easily.
- The shoe features a durable rubber sole, which allows comfort while both pedaling and walking.
- The rubber on the bottom is shock-absorbing, which is perfect for riding on rocky terrain.
- There is a TPU compositethat provides shoe durability.
- Lightweight and breathable shoes.
- Strong rubber soles
- Perfect for rocky terrain.
- Highly durable
- Overly-flexible sole
- Doesn’t absorb shock well.
3. Tommaso Montagna 100 Men’s Mountain Bike MTB Spin Cycling Shoe Compatible with SPD Cleats
The Tommasso Montagna 100 Men’s Mountain Bike MTB Spin Cycling Shoe is a velcro shoe created for outdoor activities.
- The sole of the shoe is reinforced with fiberglass, which provides stiffness yet flexibility at the same time.
- The fiberglass in the bottom of the shoe also allows you to maximize your power with every pedal.
- These best mountain bike shoes are made of synthetic leather and mesh, which allows ultimate comfortability.
- The shoe is versatile and can work for any type of biking, including spinning, touring, and mountain biking.
- The shoe’s mesh allows for your foot to stay cool while pedaling.
- Fiberglass soles for better stiffness.
- Super comfortable
- Ideal for mountain biking, spinning, and touring.
- Run large for some.
- Don’t come with cleats.
4. Giro Riddance Cycling Shoes
The Giro Riddance Cycling Shoe is a mountain biking shoe created to help the rider feel confident while pedaling.
- The sole of these best budget mtb shoes is synthetic.
- The Giro Riddance Cycling Shoe is water-resistant yet breathable at the same time so you can ride no matter the weather.
- Adjustments to the fittingof the shoe can easily be made due to the laces.
- This shoe is comfortable and features a molded footbed and arch support.
- The bottom of the shoe is made with Vibram MegaGrip rubber to help with overall stickiness.
- Synthetic soles
- Molded footbed for arch support.
- Not super sticky
- Tight fit for some.
5. Giro Code VR70 Men’s Cycling Shoes
The Giro Code VR70 Men’s Cycling Shoe is a black and red precision-fit shoe created for mountain biking in comfort.
- This waterproof mtb shoes for flat pedals is made from a carbon composite, which makes the shoe lightweight. This allows you to pedal quicker and maximize power.
- The precision fit of the shoe provides ultimate comfort.
- There’s a toe cap on the shoe that features rubber armor so your foot will be protected from harm.
- The shoe features microfiber, which provides water protectionand helps to keep odors to a minimum.
- There’s a scuff guard that protects the shoe from external damage.
- Run large and narrow.
6. Five Ten Men’s Freerider MTB Bike Shoes
The Five Ten Men’s Freerider MTB Bike Shoe is a laced mountain biking shoe that comes in black and yellow.
- These Five Ten Freerider pro shoes provide stickiness for pedals that make it feel like clips.
- The outsoles are shock-absorbing, so you won’t feel the brunt of impacts.
- The shoe features a midsole that provides high support while pedaling.
- The Five Ten mtb shoes are made of suede, leather, and mesh, which together allow for breathability and ventilation.
- Five Ten Men’s Freerider MTB Bike Shoes come with laces that allow you to adjust the fit of your shoes in a pinch.
- Good ventilation
- Could be more shock-absorbing.
- The toe box is tight.
7. Giro Rumble VR Men’s Mountain Cycling Shoes
The Giro Rumble VR Men’s Mountain Cycling Shoe is a black and orange mountain biking shoe created with ultimate stickiness.
- These best budget mtb shoes have a nylon plate that allows you to transfer the right amount of power while pedaling.
- There is medium arch support for your foot’s comfort.
- Laces allow you to easily adjust the overall fit of your shoe.
- Synthetic suede helps to provide breathability while riding, along with ventilation.
- The stickiness of the shoe is due to the high-tractionoutsole.
- Comes with a Nylon plate for pedaling power.
- Arch support
- Good ventilation
- High-traction outsole
- Runs small for some.
8. Five Ten Men’s Kestrel Lace Mountain Bike Shoes
The Five Ten Men’s Kestrel Lace Mountain Bike Shoe is a black clipless shoe that has both laces and a hook and loop top strap.
- There’s extra protection around the toe and the heel, so you don’t have to worry about extra injuries.
- The shoe features laces and a velcro strap that provide a snug yet adjustable fit.
- Mesh allows the shoe to be breathable and lower possibilities of strong foot odor.
- The outsole is made from Steal C4 rubber for great stickiness on pedals.
- This shoe is weather-resistant and will hold up against both water and mud.
- Extra protection for toes.
- Velcro straps
- Stiff yet flexible
- Runs small
- Tough to break-in
9. Leatt DBX 2.0 Flat Men’s MTB Cycling Shoes
The Leatt DBX 2.0 Flat Men’s MTB Cycling Shoe is a black laced mountain biking shoe.
- Gripping on the bottom of the shoe has been optimized to provide top stickiness on all types of flat pedals.
- There is extra protection around the heel and toe area.
- The bottom has a medium-stiff sole, which allows flexibility so you can walk and ride in the shoe.
- This shoe’s sole also has mud channels to help keep mud off your shoe while riding.
- The perforation of the shoe allows for ventilation and breathability.
- Extra protection for heel and toe regions.
- Mud channels to keep mud off.
- Excellent ventilation and breathability.
- Laces untie easily
10. O’Neal Pinned Flat Pedal Shoe Black
The O’Neal Pinned Flat Pedal Shoe is a black mountain biking shoe featuring laces that appears casual but can be worn in extreme situations.
- The shoe’s sole features a honeycomb pattern to allow for stickiness on pedals while biking.
- The footbed is interchangeable, so you can adjust the fit to your comfort.
- Laces allow you to also adjust the sizing and overall fit for you to feel most secure while riding.
- The toe is reinforced to provide protection.
- This shoe is both durable and lightweight.
- Honeycomb pattern soles for better grip while pedaling.
- Interchangeable footbed
- Run small
- Lack of weather protection.
- Lack of stickiness
Our top recommendation for the best mountain biking shoes for flat pedals is the Tommaso Montagna 100 Men's Mountain Bike MTB Spin Cycling Shoe! This shoe is comfortable, durable, and sticky, so your feet don't slip while you're riding.
So, next time you’re looking to purchase a brand-new pair of flat pedal shoes for mountain biking, purchase these! They check off practically everything on the list and win in a landslide.
- “Plantar pressure of clipless and toe-clipped pedals in cyclists – A pilot study”. Accessed July 17, 2020. Link.
- “INTERVENTION AT THE FOOT-SHOE-PEDAL INTERFACE IN COMPETITIVE CYCLISTS”. Accessed July 17, 2020. Link.