Choosing your tent is a serious task as the quality of it will significantly impact your camping adventure. You will have to take into account several factors as well as the number of people that you want to accommodate in the tent.
If we had to choose one option out of these best camping tents for 4 persons, we would definitely go for the Clostnature four - person tent.
In this complex guide, we put together a list of the best camping tents for four people and a complete guide to help you make the right decision. So, keep reading and find the perfect tent for your group!
Table of Contents
Best Camping Tents For 4 Persons – Comparison Table
How big of a tent do I need for a family of 4?
When it comes to the size of the tent, things can be reasonably relative.
- Tents that are advertised for four people are ideal for two adults and two young children. Using a four-person tent for four adults would be stretching it because even if they would all fit in it, there will be no comfort.
- The general rule recommends at least 20 sq ft per person as far as tent space goes.
- However, if you talk to experienced campers, you will need even 40 sq ft to plan on storing equipment or other goods in the tent with you.
What to look for?
When it comes to purchasing a four-person tent, there are a few essential things to keep an eye on. Otherwise, you will end up with a tent that will not meet your needs and expectations. To avoid a purchase that will not work for you, check the following features before pulling your credit card out!
Size of your tent
Size is something you shouldn’t compromise on.
- Check the recommended number of people that can fit in the tent and the dimensions of the tent.
- You need both aspects before investing in the right product. The manufacturer will specify both sizes in the description of the product.
- Make sure to get at least 20 sq ft minimum tent space per person.
You want a tent that is easy to set up even if you don’t have a lot of experience with this domain.
- You don’t want to spend hours setting up your tent. If the instructions are clear, you shouldn’t have to do that.
- You might be caught in windy weather or even a storm, case in which the time you spend to set up your tent will be crucial.
- The best tents on the market will take less than ten minutes to set them up.
The weight of the tent is also significant.
- You will bring your tent with you as you are traveling, which is why you should get a product that comes with a portable weight.
- The weight of your tent becomes even more critical if you are a backpacker, and you will not travel in the car.
- Carrying a massive tent can be very uncomfortable so try not to compromise on this aspect.
You want a tent that will withstand not only the test of time but also unpredictable weather conditions.
- The material of the tent has to be resistant enough, and the stability should also be very secure.
- Your tent should be able to face rain and wind if the weather gets to such conditions, without creating you any discomfort.
How to set up a 4-person tent?
Setting up your four-person tent is something you should definitely research before you go on your trip. You might not have the time to figure it out on the spot, and it is always best to be prepared for this task.
Here is a complete step by step guide on how you can set up a four-person tent with no hassle!
Lay a material down to protect your tent from moisture
Using a piece of material between the ground and the bottom of your tent will protect the tent from getting in contact with moisture. You can use a plastic tarp or a vinyl tarp for this step. Make sure the tarp you use is big enough to cover the entire bottom of your tent. Tuck the edges of the tarp under the tent as you shouldn’t let them hang beyond the edge. If your tarp is too wide, it will collect rainwater and work against protecting your tent.
Get all the parts of your tent on the ground
Make sure to inspect the tent as well as the poles and stakes to decide if they are in good condition. If you discover a problem with one part of your tent, you should fix it the best way you can before setting your tent up. This is also an excellent occasion to check if you have all the parts you need to put your tent together.
Set the bottom of your tent on the tarp material
Start setting your tent up by unfolding it and place the bottom of it on the tarp layer. Check if the door and the windows of your tent face the right direction according to your preferences. It will be harder to move it later, so this will get right from the very beginning. Lay the tent out flat first and go forward to the poles of your tent.
Connect the poles
Setting up the poles might get a bit more skills and attention, but it is not complicated to do. The way you connect the poles together will differ from one tent to another. Generally, they might come with numbers to connect them more comfortable but they can also come with bungee ropes. Connect the poles as your tent is still laying flat.
Connect the poles to your tent
Now that your poles are connected together, you can move forward and connect them to your tent. All you have to do is add the poles to the tent flaps according to the instructions and the structure of your tent. The end of the pole should go in an eyelet positioned at the corner of your tent. The pole will also go through designed flaps at the edges of your tent or on the top of it.
Raise the tent
Now your tent is ready to raise and accommodate you. But it will help you a lot to have a partner for this step as you might need an extra pair of hands to do it right and fast. Pull the corners apart to stretch the tent on the entire surface it was designed for. Also, make sure the poles are secured, and there is no risk for them to come undone during this step. Raise the tent carefully and check if it stands perpendicular to the ground.
Stake your tent to the ground
The stakes will be made of metal, so they offer your tent the stability it needs. You should place them on the corner flaps designed for them and stick them into the ground. Check the stability of your tent afterward and decide if you have to bury your stakes even further in the ground.
Add your rainfly
The last step in setting up your tent is adding the rain fly. The best tents on the market will come with a rain fly even if this is not mandatory. This is a piece of material that covers your tent and protects it from rain or extreme humidity. There are rain fly accessories that come with poles, and they need to be attached to your tent in a more complex way, but most of them are pretty easy to set on top of your tent. Check the instructions to know how to set your rain fly according to the model you got.
Best Camping Tents for 4 Person Reviews
Here are the top 10 best 4-person camping tents on the market today:
MOON LENCE Instant Pop Up Tent
One of the best tents for four persons that we want to introduce you comes from Moon Lence.
- You can find this tent in three different colors. It comes in a green shade, blue as well as orange.
- These best family camping tents offer enough room for four and even five people. The size of the unfolding tent is 114.2 x 121.3 x 52.4 in, and the weight of this tent is 10.25 lbs. there shouldn’t be any trouble carrying this tent with you as you need it.
- There are four windows and one door with a double zipper on this tent, so ventilation will not be a problem.
- The resistance of this tent is not questionable, either. It comes with 10 alloy pegs and five guy ropes so it will be stable.
- Thanks to the 190 T PU material and the 210D Oxford guard sheet, you will not have to worry about water or UV.
- Setting up this tent is very easy as well. It has an instant pop-up structure so you can set it tall within a minute. All you have to do is lift the top and secure the bottom joints.
OT QOMOTOP 4 Person Pop up Tent
Another tent that will be ideal for four adults comes from OT QOMOTOP. This tent is perfect for a family or a small group of friends.
- You can find this best 4-person car camping tent in two colors, such as a vibrant blue one and a brown shade.
- Setting up shouldn’t take more than a minute. As a matter of fact, once you get used to its structure, you will probably be able to set this tent up in ten seconds.
- The roof of this tent comes with two vents, so condensation shouldn’t be a problem for you.
- Two great qualities of this 4 person tent are that it is both waterproof and windproof. It will not get soaked if it rains, and it will not get knocked over if the wind is getting stronger.
- You can unzip or zip every window as well as the door individually. The zipping mechanism goes from the inside, just like it goes from the outside.
Clostnature Lightweight 4 Person Backpacking Tent
If you are looking for the ideal backpacking tent for four people, this Clostnature Lightweight 4 Person Backpacking Tent is a great option.
- You can choose this best 4 person tent in different sizes. So if you want, you find a version for two people, three people or four people.
- This tent is waterproof and extremely resistant. It comes with a rain fly made of 210T Polyester and a groundsheet and all the accessories you need.
- Setting up this tent will not be a problem either. Even if you have no experience at it, you should be able to set it up within seconds. The tent comes with two aluminum poles that are lightweight and easy to set up with no other help.
- You will also like the design of this tent as it is straightforward yet elegant and easy to manage. It is ideal for backpacking as well, thanks to its increased portability.
- Inside the package, you will find the tent, a carry bag, a flysheet as well as 2 aluminum poles and 4 ropes, and 14 aluminum stakes. The package also includes one pole emergency repair kit.
- There are also different colors to choose from according to the size of the tent you choose.
ZOMAKE Pop Up Tent 3-4 Person
This tent from Zomake could accommodate three to four people successfully, and it comes at a budget-friendly price as well.
- This best family tents come in a vibrant green color but also two shades of blue to decide on if you purchase it.
- In this tent, you can fit three adults and one child. If there is no other baggage, this could be quite comfortable.
- The tent comes with all instructions you need to set it up with no trouble.
- You will love the fact that this tent is made of durable material as well. It offers UV protection, and it doesn’t trap any unpleasant odor inside the tent. The material is water-resistant without being waterproof.
- The manufacturer will replace your tent in 90 days if you have any problems with it. So, you can be sure that you make an excellent purchase.
- There are two mesh doors and two windows and a roof mesh that allows sunlight while keeping insects out.
MOON LENCE Pop Up Tent Family Camping
This Moon Lence tend is ideal for a family of four but also for four friends enjoying a weekend camping.
- This best 4 person backpacking tent has a unique design. It is very modern yet simple at the same time. You shouldn’t have any issues setting this tent up even with no experience in the matter.
- You can choose between orange, green, or blue color as you invest in this tent. They are all beautiful colors that will add style to your camping trip.
- This tent can accommodate four adults without any trouble. Still, it is ideal for two adults and two children if you want some free space for potential luggage.
- There are two doors and two windows with double zipper closure. Ventilation will not be a problem in this tent.
- Thanks to the ten allow pegs and four ropes, you can count on this tent for resisting wind as well as harsh weather conditions.
HODLEX Camping Outdoor Tent Durable Waterproof Family Large Tents
Hodlex offers a great camping tent for four people with handy features to enjoy. You will love the design of this tent as well as how resistant it can be.
- This best 4 person backpacking tent is, first of all, waterproof, which is very useful as you never know when the rain or storm catches you camping. You can count on the fact that no water will damage you inside this tent.
- You can choose this tent in green color but also in white and yellow color. White is a rare color for tents as it can get dirty a lot easier, but if you want this color, you will love that you get the option to choose it.
- There is enough room for four adults in this tent as long as you don’t have any extra baggage with you. You can use it for family camping but also for your hiking trips or fishing adventures.
- The material of this tent is a 210 T eco-friendly polyester that will last a long time if you maintain it properly.
- Installing this tent shouldn’t take more than five minutes. It is not a pop-up tent, so you will have to set it up by parts, but it comes with all the instructions.
- The tent comes with a door that can become a sunshade and windows for ventilation.
OT QOMOTOP 4 Person Pop up Tent
This QT four people tent is just what you need for your next camping trip. You will fall in love with its features and design.
- This tent could be set up in about 10 seconds once you get used to its structure. You will be able to install it even if you don’t have any experience with tents.
- To pack up the tent, you won’t have to spend more than one minute, either. You will be off on your way in no time.
- You can fit four adults in this tent comfortably, but it is not the ideal option for backpacking.
- Ventilation will not be a problem with this tent either. It has two roof vents that will keep the moisture away from your tent. If you learn how to use them according to the weather temperatures, you can have the perfect climate inside your tent.
- This tent is both rainproof and waterproof. You can count on it even during unpredictable weather conditions. There will be no leaks, and the seams are very secure, so you don’t have to worry about any moisture getting inside your tent.
- Each door and window can be zipped or unzipped individually. You can air your tent just the way you want, and the closures are sturdy enough to completely isolate the tent when you zip these openings.
Ayamaya Pop Up Tents with Vestibule for 4 to 6 Person
This Ayamaya tent is a pop-up model that will be not only very easy to set up but also rich in features you will enjoy.
- You can choose this tent in two color options according to your preferences. Its design is very functional, as well.
- The primary material of this tent is Polyester. It will be resistant and easy to manage. It is also waterproof, so you won’t have to worry about facing rain while enjoying your time in nature.
- You can fit four people in this tent comfortably and even up to six people. It depends on the luggage you have with you as well, and if you use sleeping bags or not. Either way, there is plenty of space in this tent for you and your family or friends.
- This best 6 person tent comes with useful accessories such as a lamp hook or electrical cord access port so you can use your devices. There are also storage pockets so your camping trip will be even more comfortable.
- Since it is a double layer tent, it will prevent condensation as well. You will not have to worry about such unpleasant side effects of enjoying some days in nature.
- The poles are pre-assembled, so you will be able to set this tent up in a matter of seconds. Along with the tent, you receive a carrying bag as well, which makes transporting it more comfortable and storing it with no trouble.
Night Cat Waterproof Camping Tent
Night Cat is one of those tents that will offer you a cozy home away from home. It has all you need to make the most out of your camping trips.
- You can find this tent in different shades of blue and green as well as different sizes. The four-person size is just what you need for a family of four or a group of friends.
- The 210 D Oxford fabric offers this tent all it needs to resist over time and offer you the comfort you need as well. Because it is a double layer tent, it is also rainproof.
- Setting this tent up is not difficult, but it is more complex than other tents. It is a manual set up, and you could put it together along with your kids and have some quality time while you do that.
- The tent comes with fiberglass poles, metal stakes, and nylon ropes, so it will be very stable even during windy weather.
- Along with the tent, you will also find a carrying bag that will help you store and transport the tent quickly.
Eackrola Pop Up Tent
Before we end our selection of the best four-person tents, we have to mention this camping tent from Eackrola.
- You can find this model in a blue and an army green shade, and it has a very functional design. It is ideal for four people, but you can even fit five adults if there is no luggage, and you use sleeping bags.
- The setup of this tent is instant, and it doesn’t require more than one person. All you have to do is open the tent and throw it in the air. It will unfold and open itself in a matter of seconds.
- You will love the fact that this tent is waterproof as well. It will keep you and your belongings dry even during heavy rain. Also, once you install the guy ropes and the pegs, you can expect this tent to be stable even in strong wind.
- Ventilation is no hassle with this tent. It comes with four windows that you can open and close as you please and two doors. You can open them to air the tent out and keep condensation to a minimum.
- The design of this tent is simple but beautiful. You will love to camp inside of it and have a great time with those you hold close to your heart.
Frequently Asked Questions
Should I wash my four people tent after I use it?
Washing it ultimately might not be necessary, but you should consider wiping it. Keeping your tent clean will help you store it in better conditions and, therefore, enjoy it for a more extended period. All you need is a wet cloth and some soap to clean the potential stains on your tent, and most products come with cleaning instructions as well.
How many windows should my four-people-tent have for adequate ventilation?
Two windows are necessary to air out your tent as you need, but you will find tents with roof vents and even four windows. However, two windows are a must to have, and you should choose tents that have a good and sturdy zip closure on each opening.
Should I use a mattress or sleeping bags for a four people tent?
Your sleeping arrangements are entirely subjective. But keep in mind that choosing sleeping bags will help you save some space and even allow you to fit one more adult in the tent. It should work either way comfortably, though.
The Clostnature tent is our favorite for many reasons. You will find both comfort and functionality in this tent as you start using it.
- We love the fact that you can choose from different sizes as you invest in this tent. The four-person size is ideal for a family tent, but you can get it in smaller versions too.
- The aluminum poles make this tent more lightweight than other models. It comes at a weight of only 7.4 pounds, so carrying it with you shouldn't be a problem.
- The waterproof material of this tent makes it ideal for all seasons as well. You don't have to worry about humidity or rain as you enjoy your time with your loved ones.
- And last but not least, we definitely love how easy it is to set this tent up. It is compact, and you won't need any help to install it.
Your tent is your home away from home, so you should invest in a quality one that will not disappoint you. Comfort is just as important as resistance and the features of your tent.
Applying the information in this guide will help you end up with the perfect tent for your family. Consider both the buyer’s guide and the selection of products to see what works best for you!
- “How to Choose Tents for Camping” – REI. Accessed September 26, 2020. Link.