Sauta Cave National Wildlife Refuge
Sauta Cave NWR (known as Blowing Wind Cave NWR until 1999) is a 264 acre Refuge purchased in 1978 to provide protection for the federally endangered gray and Indiana bat and their critical habitat.
The cave provides a summer roosting site for about 200,000 – 300,000 gray bats and a winter hibernaculum for both the gray and Indiana bats. There are two entrances into the cave on the Refuge but they are closed to the public As is the case with many large caves, rare and unique species occur in Sauta Cave.
As a result, the Alabama Natural Heritage Program ranks the cave’s biodiversity as a site of very high significance. Surprisingly, the cave is not a pristine one as it was used as a saltpeter mine during the Civil War, a nightclub during the 1920’s, and a fallout shelter during the 1960’s.
In addition to the rare fauna within the cave, the federally endangered Price’s potato bean occurs on the Refuge. All 264 acres of habitat outside of the cave is predominately hardwood forest.
Fish and Wildlife Service
Sauta Cave NWR is located just above the Sauty Creek embayment of TVA’s Guntersville Reservoir, seven miles west of Scottsboro, Alabama, just off highway 72.
2700 Refuge Headquarters Road
- “Home – Sauta Cave – U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service”. Accessed April 26, 2020. Link.
Near By Parks
- Little River Canyon National Preserve
- Russell Cave National Monument
- Shiloh National Military Park
- Shiloh National Cemetery
- Stones River National Cemetery
- Stones River National Battlefield
- Anniston Museum Of Natural History
- Cahaba River National Wildlife Refuge
- Watercress Darter National Wildlife Refuge
- Key Cave National Wildlife Refuge
- Wheeler National Wildlife Refuge
- Nickajack Lake
- Guntersville Lake
- Tims Ford Lake
- Pickwick Lake
- Normandy Lake
- Riverview Campground
- Brices Cross Roads National Battlefield Site
- Grayson Lake
- Tennessee Tombigbee Waterway Bay Springs Lake
- Carters Lake
- Blowing Wind Cave Nwr
- Fern Cave National Wildlife Refuge
Near By Campgrounds
- Burchfield Branch Park (AL)
- Clear Creek (AL)
- Corinth Recreation Area (AL)
- Deerlick Creek (AL)
- Hidden Cove
- Houston Recreation Area (AL)
- Houston Shelter (AL)
- Jp Coleman
- Piney Grove (MS)
- Tishomingo State Park
- Whitten Park (MS)
- Lookout Mtn. Chattanooga West KOA
- Manchester KOA
- Natchez Trace