Wheeler National Wildlife Refuge
Wheeler National Wildlife Refuge (NWR), located along the Tennessee River between Huntsville and Decatur, was established in 1938 to provide habitat for wintering and migrating birds. Considered the easternmost Refuge in the Mississippi flyway, this 34,500 acre Refuge attracts thousands of wintering waterfowl each year and supports the southernmost and Alabama’s only significant concentration of wintering Southern James Bay Canada geese.
It also serves as winter habitat for the State’s largest duck population. In addition to migratory birds, the Refuge hosts 115 species of fish, 74 species of reptiles and amphibians, 47 species of mammals, and 285 different species of songbirds.
The Refuge is also home to 10 federally listed endangered or threatened species. Wheeler NWR is comprised of a great diversity of habitat types such as bottomland hardwoods, wetlands, pine uplands, agricultural fields, and backwater embayments.
These habitats provide excellent feeding, loafing, and roosting sites for waterfowl, as well as nesting sites for migrating songbirds.
The Refuge provides a much needed oasis in one of the fastest growing regions in the state, with Madison being ranked as one of the top ten fasting growing cities in the nation in 2002.
Fish and Wildlife Service
Wheeler NWR is located in Decatur, Alabama, about 80 miles north of Birmingham and 30 miles west of Huntsville. From Interstate 65, take exit 334 and travel west on highway 67. The Refuge visitor center is 2 miles on the left and the Refuge headquarters is 2.5 miles on the right.
2700 Refuge Headquarters Road
- “Home – Wheeler – U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service”. Accessed April 18, 2020. Link.
Near By Parks
- Chickamauga And Chattanooga National Military Park
- Little River Canyon National Preserve
- Russell Cave National Monument
- Shiloh National Military Park
- Shiloh National Cemetery
- Stones River National Cemetery
- Stones River National Battlefield
- Anniston Museum Of Natural History
- Cahaba River National Wildlife Refuge
- Sauta Cave National Wildlife Refuge
- Watercress Darter National Wildlife Refuge
- Key Cave National Wildlife Refuge
- Wheeler National Wildlife Refuge
- Nickajack Lake
- Guntersville Lake
- Tims Ford Lake
- Pickwick Lake
- Normandy Lake
- Riverview Campground
- Grayson Lake
- Tennessee Tombigbee Waterway Bay Springs Lake
- Carters Lake
- Blowing Wind Cave NWR
- Fern Cave National Wildlife Refuge
Near By Campgrounds
- Burchfield Branch Park (AL)
- Clear Creek (AL)
- Corinth Recreation Area (AL)
- Deerlick Creek (AL)
- Hidden Cove
- Houston Recreation Area (AL)
- Houston Shelter (AL)
- Jp Coleman
- Piney Grove (MS)
- Tishomingo State Park
- Whitten Park (MS)
- Jefferson Springs (TN)
- Lookout Mtn. Chattanooga West KOA
- Manchester Koa
- Natchez Trace