Cooking outdoors with the right cookware set can be a relaxing and fun experience. Car camping has one thing that makes the food better than anything you can do at home.
Our top pick for the best car camping cookware set is the REDCAMP 23 PCS Camping Cookware Mess Kit. It is an excellent budget option for car campers as it comes with all the essentials. This unit is made from anodized aluminum, which makes it very durable. Each pan and pot absorb heat quickly to shorten the cooking time.
An all-inclusive camping cookware set usually contains everything you need to cook and dine outdoors without carrying your entire home kitchen around with you.
We have rounded up the best car camping cookware set on the market that is affordable, reliable, and backpacker-friendly.
Table of Contents
- Best Car Camping Cookware Set – Comparison Table
- What to Look for?
- Simple Car Camping Recipes
- Best Car Camping Cookware Set
Best Car Camping Cookware Set – Comparison Table
What to Look for?
Choosing the right size of camping cookware is related closely to its intended use.
- If you are going camping in a car, you likely won’t be afraid of the more oversized camping cookware.
- Conversely, backpack style cookware sets come with just the necessary sets.
- Manufacturers often provide the weight and size of their sets so you can evaluate and determine if they are suitable for your type of camping.
- Consider the capacity of the pans and pots you will receive and choose a size that suits the number of people you will be cooking for.
- Also, you should choose the size of your camping cookware according to the burner size of your camping stove. In this way, everything is cooked more quickly and efficiently.
While these cookware sets are lightweight, their weight will vary depending on the number of parts they contain and the materials they are made from.
- Weight ranges from less than a pound to more than four pounds for some cookware sets.
- If you are doing base camping, you can afford to buy a heavy cookware set. When you go backpacking, you want to have something light in your backpack.
- So, it is essential to first check the weight.
Camping pots and pans are crafted from metal, but different types are used. They all have their pros and cons in terms of durability, ease of use, and weight.
Aluminum: Most traditional camping cookware is made of aluminum. It is inexpensive, weighs almost nothing, and conducts heat quite well. On the other hand, it is not particularly strong, so it is easy to deform and dent. Also, it can leach into foods. Therefore, the best car camping cookware set is made from hard-anodized aluminum. A thick layer of oxide on the surface makes it very durable. It prevents it from seeping into food and changing the taste. Also, most aluminum cookware sets have non-stick properties. If you are looking for a balance between function and weight, this material is for you.
Stainless Steel: Steel is very sturdy, so it has excellent durability. This is the optimal option if you use metal cookware and are not very careful with your gear. A big advantage of steel cookware is that they can be used safely around the campfire with no risk of damage.
Cast Iron: Cast iron models are easy to use and very reliable. It can last almost forever and has a non-stick coating that you only have to re-season now and then. Also, it can be used safely over a campfire. However, it is very inconvenient and heavy to transport.
Non-Stick coating: This is typically made of ceramic or Teflon. Teflon is less expensive, more common, and very efficient in ensuring your food does not stick. However, scratching can easily damage it, and the falling chunks are not suitable for your health. Non-stick ceramic coatings are also beneficial, durable, and safe, but also more expensive.
Food Grade Silicone and Plastic: Some additional parts, such as bowls, mugs, utensils, and others, can be made from silicone or plastic. It is usually quite strong and heat resistant, so it can be used while camping. For safety reasons, look for BPA-free plastic utensils.
Portability is one of the most important things to consider, particularly if you are traveling light. Everything must be well secured so that the available space is used optimally. We’ve already talked about weight and size, but other factors affect portability as well. Handles that you can fold against your pot can save extra space. Also, most manufacturers offer a carrying case, which makes carrying a lot easier.
Simple Car Camping Recipes
1. Five Can Chili
This classic stew originated from southwest America, and it is a cornerstone of many camp cooking. Although there are several ways to make this car camping recipe, the devoted ones use only the freshest ingredients to make their chili.
2. Camping Sangria
The camping is sangria is explicitly designed for travel, making it the ideal make-ahead cocktail for a car camping trip.
3. Easy Smores Dessert
If you are looking for an easy dessert to make on your car camping adventure, the easy smores dessert is a fun option. All you need to do is pop the skillet full of chocolate and marshmallows over the campfire or oven, and it is ready before you know it.
4. Vegetarian Quinoa Patties
Quinoa is a camping superfood that contains all 9 essential amino acids and lots of trace minerals, magnesium, lysine, and iron. This ancient grain cooks quickly tastes fantastic and keeps well in a camp pantry, especially when combined with garlic, onions, cheese, and eggs.
5. Camping Breakfast Burritos
Forget the cereal and the bagels – you can have an excellent breakfast even in those crazy mornings with this camping breakfast burritos.
Best Car Camping Cookware Set
Here are the best car camping cookware sets on the market today:
1. REDCAMP 23 PCS Camping Cookware Mess Kit
The REDCAMP 23 PCS Camping Cookware Mess Kit is an excellent budget option for car campers as it comes with all the essentials.
- This best RV camping cookware is made from anodized aluminum, which makes it very durable.
- Additionally, the anodized aluminum allows them to withstand the rugged outdoor condition and harsh heat.
- Each pan and pot absorbs heat quickly to shorten the cooking time.
- With 4 cookware, 5 bowls, 3 foldable utensils, 1 large bowl, and 2 dishes, the REDCAMP 23 PCS Camping Cookware Mess Kit allows multiple people to enjoy a meal on a car camping trip.
- Also, the set comes with a tool card that can open cans and bottles.
- Weighing only 3.3 pounds, this cookware set is exceptionally light, so it is easy to transport and takes up little space.
- Lightweight design
- Durable construction
- Heats easily
- None found
2. Wealers Store II Piece Cooking Utensil Set
This 11-piece cookware set can easily be folded into a pack.
- The best camping cookware for open fire weighs just 1.7 lbs and is extremely portable, making it easy to take with you on any car camping trip.
- The Wealers Store II cookware has a compact and simple design that saves valuable space during storage and transport.
- This ultralight backpacking cookware set is ideal for quick and easy meals on the go.
- The folding handles on each pan and pot ensure you don’t burn yourself while cooking with this set.
- The Wealers Store II cookware set is made from a high-quality aluminum metal that is non-stick, scratch-resistant, and of unsurpassed quality.
- Additionally, it is long-lasting and has an excellent cooking performance.
- Perfect for two or three people.
- Compact design for easy portability and storage.
- Durable and durable construction.
- Handles do not lock into place when folded.
3. MalloMe Camping Cookware Mess Kit
The MalloMe Camping Cookware Mess Kit conducts heat quickly and is built to last.
- It is made of anodized aluminum, so it will hold up well against different forms of corrosion.
- The pots and pans have folding handles that contours to the pot’s shape when not in use.
- Also, the handles are strong enough to let you grip the pans/pots efficiently.
- The non-stick material of the cookware makes cleaning very easy.
- The set includes one non-stick pot, a non-stick pan, two bowls, a soup spoon, stainless steel spork, a wooden spoon spatula, a nylon travel bag, and a cleaning sponge.
- For everything it offers, the MalloMe Camping Cookware Mess Kit Gear is reasonably priced.
- This stainless steel camping cookware is best suited for casual car campers who do not need a cooking set that is so sturdy.
- Its collapsible design makes it easy to store.
- Compact design
- Comes with a free recipe eBook.
- Pan and pot handles are made from plastic.
- It is relatively small for a group.
4. Gear4U Camping Cookware Kits
The Gear4U Camping Cookware Kits is a versatile camping cookware set that includes everything you need to fully enjoy your meals while car camping.
- This 13-piece cookware kit includes one non-stick pot with a lid, two mugs with a lid, two sporks, one pan, one bamboo spatula, one soup spoon, and a cleaning sponge.
- The pot and pan are made of high-quality anodized aluminum material.
- Also, the pot and pan have a non-stick coating that makes cleaning hassle-free.
- The silicone-coated handles on the pot and pan are foldable, making storage convenient.
- Additionally, the silicone handles offer a good grip while also protecting you from burns when cooking.
- All the utensils in this cookware kit perfectly nestle together for easy storage.
- For easy transport, the complete set will easily fit into the included carrying bag.
- High-temperature resistance set
- Collapsible for easy storage.
- Extra utensils included for convenience.
- Only serves one or two persons.
5. G4Free Camping Cookware Mess Kit
The G4Free Camping Cookware Mess Kit is a compact set of 4 cooking sets for car camping.
- It comes with 2 pots and 2 bowls that can double as lids, making it perfect for the outdoor scene.
- It has folding handles that wrap around the cookware so it can be packed into a compact size.
- The silicone tube covering on the handle will protect you from burns.
- The cookware set is made from a high-quality aluminum alloy that is corrosion resistant and lightweight.
- The non-stick coating of the pot ensures the food doesn’t stick while also ensuring quick cleaning.
- One unique feature of this pot is the scale measurement design that can save time.
- The G4Free Camping Cookware Mess Kit comes with a mesh bag that can be used to transport the pots and other essentials.
- Space-saving design
- Lightweight and compact
- Comes with a mesh storage bag.
- Easy to clean
- Conducts heat unevenly
- The silicone on the handle quickly melts.
6. GSI Outdoors Pinnacle Base Camper Cooking Cook Set
This compact and lightweight camping cookware set feature components that snap together and take up little space in a bag.
- The two-pot combination is made of hard-anodized aluminum for even cooking and is, therefore, scratch-resistant and durable.
- While the lids are shatterproof and heat resistant, the mugs have EVA foam covers for safe use.
- Both the mugs and lids are BPA free and do not pose a health risk.
- The lids of the jars also serve as a strainer.
- These GSI outdoors pinnacle camper allow you to drain steamed pasta and vegetables with no additional equipment.
- The GSI Outdoors Pinnacle Base Camper Cooking Kit features Teflon radiation technology and provides excellent non-stick performance and even heating.
- Lightweight and compact set.
- Perfect for a family of four.
- Comes with a safety foam around the mug for hot drinks.
- Cooks and heats evenly.
- The pot handle becomes hot easily.
Our top pick for the best car camping cookware set is the REDCAMP 23 PCS Camping Cookware Mess Kit. It is a budget-friendly option for car campers as it comes with all the essentials. All units are made from anodized aluminum, which makes it very durable. Each pan and pot absorbs heat quickly to shorten the cooking time.
Having the right gear in your car can save your life literally. If the worst day of your life turns out to be a survival situation, you better have the best gear available. In terms of the greatest and latest in survival gear, you must do your research and ensure you have the right tools for the job.